Please, retitle your posts!

  • JBRMM266@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006

       I am a bit of a newcomer here, and am more of a student than a participant. My woodcrafting is of the most basic sort.

      Still, I find that this list is prone to one of the problems that seems to permeate these lists: an identity crisis as to the subject of any given post.

      Several different topics have been discussed recently, all under the subject "New Kid in Town," where none of the discussions had anything to do with the newcomer.

      i entreat you, worthy gentles, when you start a new subject, to change the subject line on your post.

      Your servant aye
      Donal Mac Ruiseart

    • Gary R. Halstead
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
        It looks as if there are two books on the subject:

        Michel Colardelle, Eric Verdel. Chevaliers-paysans de l’an mil au lac
        de Paladru. Paris : Editions Errance ; [Grenoble] : Musée Dauphinois,
        c1993. 119 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm. ISBN: 2877720764

        This looks to be the "popular" work

        Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
        formation d’un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
        Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
        Robert Fossier.

        Paris : Editions de la Maison des sciences de l’homme, 1993. 416 p. :
        ill. ; 30 cm. ISBN: 2735104990

        Book Description: This volume reports on the excavation of a fortified
        settlement constructed in AD 1003 and abandoned in 1040 before being
        submerged under Lake Paladru. Many artefacts were remarkably well
        preserved, and analysis extending into the surrounding landscape helped
        provide important information concerning architecture in wood, arts and
        crafts, food supply and agriculture. Once again the rewards of wet-site
        archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs & 4 col plates.
        (Documents d'Archaeologie Francaise 40, 1993).

        Ranulf

        Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
        > I would very much like to locate the archaeological reports of the
        > artifacts from this site... The shuttles mentioned on the weaving page
        > especially:
        > http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/chepay.htm
        > If these are boat shuttles (as implied), they will be the earliest
        > (approx1010 AD) that I have been able to locate.
        >
        > Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!
        >
        > Beth Matney
        >
        > At 01:18 PM 8/2/2006, Ranulf wrote:
        >
        >> Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist
        >> website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there
        >> is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to
        >> neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would
        >> explain the preservation of the wood.
        >>
        >> 1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation
        >>
        >> The site for the excavations is here:
        >> http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm
        >>
        >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
        >>
        >> Ranulf
      • Gary R. Halstead
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
          I'm guessing the sole is hollow (didn't realize the picture was
          clickable). Did you notice they said plane*s*, but no saws, hmmm. I
          wonder what else they found.

          Ranulf

          AlbionWood wrote:
          > Ranulf,
          >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
          >>

          > Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
          > Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...
          >
          > It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
          > And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
          > crosspin for the wedge.
          >
          > Love the carved saddle-bows, too.
          >
          > Colin
        • Robb Schuster
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
            Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
            formation d'un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
            Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
            Robert Fossier.

            --Its a pretty interesting book but not so easy to find
            Even via ILL I had to wait sometime to get a copy.
            The good news is that about the last 20 pages or so of it is an english translastion
            The bad news is they use 20 pages to sum up 300+ pages of French:(

            Halv

            On 8/2/06, Gary R. Halstead <ghalstead@...> wrote:

[...]

            archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs &amp; 4 col plates.

            --
            Halv

            Never mistake the stary look in a huscarl's eye as reverance for a white belt...look to the beer in the chiv's hand.
          • Beth and Bob Matney
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
              Thank you VERY much!

              I'll track down copies of the books.