Re: [medievalsawdust] What's up?

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 8, 2002
      Yea, I got them and couple of catalogs that
      the locals have threatened to steal.

      Thanks for the tip!

      For those that don't know what we are
      talking about, check out....

      www.leevalley.com

      Conal

      --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@...> wrote:
      > And very well done from the pictures I have seen.
      >
      > Greetings Conal my friend!
      >
      > Did you get those hinges?

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 8, 2002
        Yep, I have noticed them come up missing on occasion. They have some nice
        stuff.

        I just spent the evening working on an oak table top, not period, but I
        agreed to make one for my dad. Now I have to tackle 'THE LIST'!!! Sigh, 15
        plus projects that have to be done before Pennsic. And now my wife wants me
        to make new doors an drawers for the kitchen. Good thing I like sawdust
        cause I am going to be knee deep in it for the next six months. Then I just
        got ahold of Diehl and Donnelly's "Medieval Furniture: Plans and
        Instructions for Historical Reproductions" Nice book (ISBN 0811728544 for
        those interested) But, I gotta stop adding to my list, ........maybe if I
        get everything caught up.... I swear, the more I do, the more I want to do.
        Any Ideas on how to make the days longer?

        --
        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        ...Take time to dance in the rain...

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 9, 2002
          Then I just got ahold of Diehl and Donnelly's
          "Medieval Furniture: Plans and
          Instructions for Historical Reproductions" Nice book
          (ISBN 0811728544 for those interested)

          How about a book review?
          That's the second one isn't it?
          You do know that some of the measurements
          in the 1st book ( ISBN 0-8117-2795-5 )are
          off? Be careful with the numbers in this
          one too. Check them first. I think American
          Woodworking did an Article that corrected
          some of the information that was wrong in the
          1st one. I'll check into this....

          I've got to work on tables and benches for
          Pennsic, ( and then talk someone else into
          carting them around..... )and a new bed, and
          4 pairs of the folding coffer chairs and a
          single chair ( commissions )

          ( pics of chairs in photo area of the group page
          Where's everyone else photos? hint hint hint...)

          and a new gateway for Pennsci and a
          smaller tabel for events and a couple of
          chests and and and and and and and.....

          Conal

          ps Rhys, You wanna come down for the oaken
          A&S? I got crash space. Bring your lovely
          lady....

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 9, 2002
            A book review will have to wait a couple weeks, I got draggoned into writing
            a couple articles for Artes Draconis, and I only have about 2 weeks. But I
            would be happy to do one.

            I am making another of the Viking beds
            http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/bedplan.html

            as a gift/commision (I offered to make one for the cost of the wood). My
            Baron and Baroness are viking and really liked my bed.

            --
            YIS,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            ...Take time to dance in the rain...

          • vinlandar
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 11, 2002
              Conal,

              Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges you received? A
              good source of period looking and maybe even primitive looking hinges
              would be very nice.

              -Charlie

              --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 12, 2002
                lee valley has hand forged hinges
                I haven't used them ( the other project
                was a tourney prize and I had a bit of
                a budget...

                got pic's of what you are planning?

                Conal

                --- vinlandar <vinlandar@...> wrote:
                > Conal,
                >
                > Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges
                > you received? A
                > good source of period looking and maybe even
                > primitive looking hinges
                > would be very nice.
                >
                > -Charlie
                >

                > --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
                > <baronconal@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > Yea, I got them and couple of catalogs that
                > > the locals have threatened to steal.
                > >
                > > Thanks for the tip!
                > >
                > > For those that don't know what we are
                > > talking about, check out....
                > >
                > > www.leevalley.com
                > >

                > > Conal
                > >
                > > --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
                > > > And very well done from the pictures I have
                > seen.
                > > >
                > > > Greetings Conal my friend!
                > > >
                > > > Did you get those hinges?

                > > Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free
                > email!
                > > http://mail.yahoo.com/

                http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
              • vinlandar
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                  Hi, Conal,

                  yep, here are two links to a site by Mr. Wyeley from whence I will be
                  drawing my plans for a couple of Viking stools and a simple chest to
                  keep some of my stuff in.

                  stool:
                  http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

                  Chest: (I think I will change the dimentions a bit, and make mine
                  about half as long as this one.
                  http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

                  I have done a little working with wood before, but I am not an
                  experienced woodworker.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                    If you are gonna go as far as
                    doing a reproduction ....
                    ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                    ... find a blacksmith and get the
                    hinges custom made. He/She might
                    help you make them, or just want a
                    little help with some grunt work in
                    trade.

                    Where are you?

                    Conal

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                      they are not Viking...

                      but check out...

                      http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html

                      Conal

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                        Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's items. I
                        even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his items.

                        HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor Christienson, the
                        curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities of viking
                        artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the items are
                        period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking Captain
                        Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                          Thanks, Captain,

                          I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                          Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                          to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                          little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                          the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                          passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                          there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                          toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                          would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                          the maker or the buyer.

                          Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                          that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                          the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                          stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.

                          Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                          meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                          works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                          L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                          chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.

                          If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.

                          -Charlie

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 14, 2002
                            An excellent book indeed. And I am considering making that chest myself.
                            If you research the Gokstad and Oseberg burial ships, you will find that
                            they carry beds that did vary to individual needs. Making that stretch for
                            other items seems reasonable.

                            >Thanks, Captain,
                            >
                            >I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                            >Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                            >to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                            >little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                            >the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                            >passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                            >there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                            >toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                            >would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                            >the maker or the buyer.
                            >
                            >Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                            >that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                            >the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                            >stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.
                            >
                            >Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                            >meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                            >works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                            >L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                            >chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.
                            >
                            >If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.
                            >
                            >-Charlie
                            >

                            >--- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
                            > > Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's
                            >items. I
                            > > even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his
                            >items.
                            > >
                            > > HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor
                            >Christienson, the
                            > > curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities
                            >of viking
                            > > artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the
                            >items are
                            > > period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking
                            >Captain
                            > > Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.
                            > >

                            > > >they are not Viking...
                            > > >
                            > > > but check out...
                            > > >
                            > > >http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html
                            > > >
                            > > > Conal

                            > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

                            > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

                            > > >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
                            > > >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                            > >

                            > > --
                            > > YIS,
                            > >
                            > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                            > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                            > >
                            > > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                            > > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                            YIS,

                            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                            Privateer to the Midrealm

                            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                            ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                          • Scott Lane
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                              >If you are gonna go as far as
                              >doing a reproduction ....
                              > ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                              >... find a blacksmith and get the
                              >hinges custom made. He/She might
                              >help you make them, or just want a
                              >little help with some grunt work in
                              >trade.
                              >Where are you?

                              I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local people
                              :) Let me know what kind you need?

                              Aodhfin
                            • vinlandar
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                                --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:
                                > > I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local
                                people
                                > :) Let me know what kind you need?
                                >
                                > Aodhfin

                                Ahodfin,

                                Thanks, that is a generous offer. I have contacted a blacksmith in
                                the SCA who has done some nice forged cooking forks for me before,
                                and he is researching the chest and possible hinges.

                                -Charlie
                              • Helen Schultz
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                                  These aren't small box hinges, but since we were on the subject, I thought I'd share...

                                  ~~ Katarina Helene

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 11, 2009

                                    Here’s a good resource for generic “old” hinges.  They are mass-produced out of mild steel for the most part.  They are not authentic in many ways, but they pass the Conan Test  (10 foot rule) and are excellent for “utility camp boxes.”  Their best feature is that they are cheap, at between $7.00 (US) to $24 (US) a pair.   You will want to look at the categories labeled “Antique Steel Hinges,” “Hand Forged Hinges,” “Equal Strap Hinges,” “Unequal Strap Hinges,” “Small Equal Decorative Hinges” and “Folding Leaf Hinges.”  Many of them are similar in general appearance to the examples in Chinnery and at the Cloisters in NYC.

                                    http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41262&cat=3,41241

                                    Will