Re: New kid in town!

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2 1:01 PM
      I would very much like to locate the archaeological reports of the
      artifacts from this site... The shuttles mentioned on the weaving page
      especially:
      http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/chepay.htm
      If these are boat shuttles (as implied), they will be the earliest
      (approx1010 AD) that I have been able to locate.

      Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!

      Beth Matney

      At 01:18 PM 8/2/2006, Ranulf wrote:

      >Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist
      >website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there
      >is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to
      >neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would
      >explain the preservation of the wood.
      >
      >1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation
      >
      >The site for the excavations is here:
      >http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm
      >
      >And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
      >
      >Ranulf
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2 1:05 PM
        But that is what you get when you have a historian set something up rather than an archer.  "But it came out of the same hole so they have to be together".   I was reading the mag "Williamsburg Times"  about a them changing the name of a historical site from "Custers(sp) Last Stand" Battlefield to "Little Bighorn" battlefield.  And changing the name of a "lunatic asylum" to "mental ward" just so they would not scare off contributors to the historic site.   And we complain about the Victorians about rewriting history.

        James Cunningham
        Too Old to be very PC
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2 1:09 PM
          Ranulf,
          > And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!

          Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
          Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...

          It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
          And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
          crosspin for the wedge.

          Love the carved saddle-bows, too.

          Colin
        • JBRMM266@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 2 1:12 PM

             I am a bit of a newcomer here, and am more of a student than a participant. My woodcrafting is of the most basic sort.

            Still, I find that this list is prone to one of the problems that seems to permeate these lists: an identity crisis as to the subject of any given post.

            Several different topics have been discussed recently, all under the subject "New Kid in Town," where none of the discussions had anything to do with the newcomer.

            i entreat you, worthy gentles, when you start a new subject, to change the subject line on your post.

            Your servant aye
            Donal Mac Ruiseart

          • Gary R. Halstead
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 2 2:44 PM
              It looks as if there are two books on the subject:

              Michel Colardelle, Eric Verdel. Chevaliers-paysans de l’an mil au lac
              de Paladru. Paris : Editions Errance ; [Grenoble] : Musée Dauphinois,
              c1993. 119 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm. ISBN: 2877720764

              This looks to be the "popular" work

              Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
              formation d’un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
              Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
              Robert Fossier.

              Paris : Editions de la Maison des sciences de l’homme, 1993. 416 p. :
              ill. ; 30 cm. ISBN: 2735104990

              Book Description: This volume reports on the excavation of a fortified
              settlement constructed in AD 1003 and abandoned in 1040 before being
              submerged under Lake Paladru. Many artefacts were remarkably well
              preserved, and analysis extending into the surrounding landscape helped
              provide important information concerning architecture in wood, arts and
              crafts, food supply and agriculture. Once again the rewards of wet-site
              archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs & 4 col plates.
              (Documents d'Archaeologie Francaise 40, 1993).

              Ranulf

              Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
              > I would very much like to locate the archaeological reports of the
              > artifacts from this site... The shuttles mentioned on the weaving page
              > especially:
              > http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/chepay.htm
              > If these are boat shuttles (as implied), they will be the earliest
              > (approx1010 AD) that I have been able to locate.
              >
              > Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!
              >
              > Beth Matney
              >
              > At 01:18 PM 8/2/2006, Ranulf wrote:
              >
              >> Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist
              >> website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there
              >> is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to
              >> neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would
              >> explain the preservation of the wood.
              >>
              >> 1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation
              >>
              >> The site for the excavations is here:
              >> http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm
              >>
              >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
              >>
              >> Ranulf
            • Gary R. Halstead
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 2 2:52 PM
                I'm guessing the sole is hollow (didn't realize the picture was
                clickable). Did you notice they said plane*s*, but no saws, hmmm. I
                wonder what else they found.

                Ranulf

                AlbionWood wrote:
                > Ranulf,
                >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
                >>

                > Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
                > Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...
                >
                > It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
                > And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
                > crosspin for the wedge.
                >
                > Love the carved saddle-bows, too.
                >
                > Colin
              • Robb Schuster
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 2 3:12 PM
                  Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
                  formation d'un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
                  Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
                  Robert Fossier.

                  --Its a pretty interesting book but not so easy to find
                  Even via ILL I had to wait sometime to get a copy.
                  The good news is that about the last 20 pages or so of it is an english translastion
                  The bad news is they use 20 pages to sum up 300+ pages of French:(

                  Halv

                  On 8/2/06, Gary R. Halstead <ghalstead@...> wrote:

[...]

                  archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs &amp; 4 col plates.

                  --
                  Halv

                  Never mistake the stary look in a huscarl's eye as reverance for a white belt...look to the beer in the chiv's hand.
                • Beth and Bob Matney
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 2 4:25 PM
                    Thank you VERY much!

                    I'll track down copies of the books.