Re: [MedievalSawdust] New kid in town!

  • ghalstead@adelphia.net
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
      Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would explain the preservation of the wood.

      1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation

      The site for the excavations is here: http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm

      And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!

      Ranulf

      ---- Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...> wrote:
      > Yes Geffrei, the problem is, in this case, there is very little text in the
      > first place 'right near that picture'. Therefore I am hoping that Philippe
      > might have been able to garner additional information ...
      >
      > I had already done a Google Translate on it.
      >
      > The important words on that page are:
      > * Pieces of Archeology of the surroundings of the year thousand found in
      > France.
      >
      > and:
      > * Crossbow Square Charavine 1 half XI
      >
      > Besides saying that it is a 'Crossbow', the rest of the latter sentence
      > doesn't make much sense.
      >
      > The title sentence says 'year thousand', so I would assume around 1000 ...
      > but I was hoping that perhaps elsewhere on the website there was more
      > information about specific year, or what region of France, etc. etc. The
      > stuff that you kinda need to read French and click around on the website to
      > figure out.
      >
      > Plus this appears to be a website of a different reinacting company, and
      > that is just a picture placed there by one of it's members. Without any
      > more details that I can see (perhaps there are there elsewhere) on what the
      > picture is from/etc.
      >
      > Siegfried
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
        > Charavine = name of the locale where it was found.

        And here I just thought that was a word that bable/google wouldn't
        translate for me. Duh.

        > 1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation

        Ahh, I didn't realize. I'm used to only reading German, given that
        most period documentation on crossbows happens to be german. In
        German you would get:
        früh 11. Jahrhundert ... or early 11th Century

        Thanks for the help folks!

        Siegfried

      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
          I would very much like to locate the archaeological reports of the
          artifacts from this site... The shuttles mentioned on the weaving page
          especially:
          http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/chepay.htm
          If these are boat shuttles (as implied), they will be the earliest
          (approx1010 AD) that I have been able to locate.

          Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!

          Beth Matney

          At 01:18 PM 8/2/2006, Ranulf wrote:

          >Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist
          >website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there
          >is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to
          >neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would
          >explain the preservation of the wood.
          >
          >1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation
          >
          >The site for the excavations is here:
          >http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm
          >
          >And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
          >
          >Ranulf
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
            But that is what you get when you have a historian set something up rather than an archer.  "But it came out of the same hole so they have to be together".   I was reading the mag "Williamsburg Times"  about a them changing the name of a historical site from "Custers(sp) Last Stand" Battlefield to "Little Bighorn" battlefield.  And changing the name of a "lunatic asylum" to "mental ward" just so they would not scare off contributors to the historic site.   And we complain about the Victorians about rewriting history.

            James Cunningham
            Too Old to be very PC
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
              Ranulf,
              > And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!

              Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
              Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...

              It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
              And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
              crosspin for the wedge.

              Love the carved saddle-bows, too.

              Colin
            • JBRMM266@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006

                 I am a bit of a newcomer here, and am more of a student than a participant. My woodcrafting is of the most basic sort.

                Still, I find that this list is prone to one of the problems that seems to permeate these lists: an identity crisis as to the subject of any given post.

                Several different topics have been discussed recently, all under the subject "New Kid in Town," where none of the discussions had anything to do with the newcomer.

                i entreat you, worthy gentles, when you start a new subject, to change the subject line on your post.

                Your servant aye
                Donal Mac Ruiseart

              • Gary R. Halstead
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                  It looks as if there are two books on the subject:

                  Michel Colardelle, Eric Verdel. Chevaliers-paysans de l’an mil au lac
                  de Paladru. Paris : Editions Errance ; [Grenoble] : Musée Dauphinois,
                  c1993. 119 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm. ISBN: 2877720764

                  This looks to be the "popular" work

                  Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
                  formation d’un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
                  Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
                  Robert Fossier.

                  Paris : Editions de la Maison des sciences de l’homme, 1993. 416 p. :
                  ill. ; 30 cm. ISBN: 2735104990

                  Book Description: This volume reports on the excavation of a fortified
                  settlement constructed in AD 1003 and abandoned in 1040 before being
                  submerged under Lake Paladru. Many artefacts were remarkably well
                  preserved, and analysis extending into the surrounding landscape helped
                  provide important information concerning architecture in wood, arts and
                  crafts, food supply and agriculture. Once again the rewards of wet-site
                  archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs & 4 col plates.
                  (Documents d'Archaeologie Francaise 40, 1993).

                  Ranulf

                  Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
                  > I would very much like to locate the archaeological reports of the
                  > artifacts from this site... The shuttles mentioned on the weaving page
                  > especially:
                  > http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/chepay.htm
                  > If these are boat shuttles (as implied), they will be the earliest
                  > (approx1010 AD) that I have been able to locate.
                  >
                  > Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!
                  >
                  > Beth Matney
                  >
                  > At 01:18 PM 8/2/2006, Ranulf wrote:
                  >
                  >> Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist
                  >> website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there
                  >> is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to
                  >> neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would
                  >> explain the preservation of the wood.
                  >>
                  >> 1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation
                  >>
                  >> The site for the excavations is here:
                  >> http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm
                  >>
                  >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
                  >>
                  >> Ranulf
                • Gary R. Halstead
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                    I'm guessing the sole is hollow (didn't realize the picture was
                    clickable). Did you notice they said plane*s*, but no saws, hmmm. I
                    wonder what else they found.

                    Ranulf

                    AlbionWood wrote:
                    > Ranulf,
                    >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
                    >>

                    > Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
                    > Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...
                    >
                    > It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
                    > And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
                    > crosspin for the wedge.
                    >
                    > Love the carved saddle-bows, too.
                    >
                    > Colin
                  • Robb Schuster
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
                      formation d'un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
                      Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
                      Robert Fossier.

                      --Its a pretty interesting book but not so easy to find
                      Even via ILL I had to wait sometime to get a copy.
                      The good news is that about the last 20 pages or so of it is an english translastion
                      The bad news is they use 20 pages to sum up 300+ pages of French:(

                      Halv

                      On 8/2/06, Gary R. Halstead <ghalstead@...> wrote:

[...]

                      archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs &amp; 4 col plates.

                      --
                      Halv

                      Never mistake the stary look in a huscarl's eye as reverance for a white belt...look to the beer in the chiv's hand.
                    • Beth and Bob Matney
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Thank you VERY much!

                        I'll track down copies of the books.