Re: Translations

  • JBRMM266@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
       Have you ever tried that for the Manesse Codex site?  Many of the translated captions are hilarious.

      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
        Yes Geffrei, the problem is, in this case, there is very little text in the first place 'right near that picture'.  Therefore I am hoping that Philippe might have been able to garner additional information ...

        I had already done a Google Translate on it.

        The important words on that page are:
        * Pieces of Archeology of the surroundings of the year thousand found in France.

        and:
        * Crossbow Square Charavine 1 half XI

        Besides saying that it is a 'Crossbow', the rest of the latter sentence doesn't make much sense.

        The title sentence says 'year thousand', so I would assume around 1000 ... but I was hoping that perhaps elsewhere on the website there was more information about specific year, or what region of France, etc. etc.  The stuff that you kinda need to read French and click around on the website to figure out.

        Plus this appears to be a website of a different reinacting company, and that is just a picture placed there by one of it's members.  Without any more details that I can see (perhaps there are there elsewhere) on what the picture is from/etc.

        Siegfried

        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
          Siegfried wrote:
          > Yes Geffrei, the problem is, in this case, there is very little text in the
          > first place 'right near that picture'. Therefore I am hoping that Philippe
          > might have been able to garner additional information ...
          >
          > I had already done a Google Translate on it.
          >
          > The important words on that page are:
          > * Pieces of Archeology of the surroundings of the year thousand found in
          > France.
          >
          > and:
          > * Crossbow Square Charavine 1 half XI

          I would read that as 1st half of 11th Century so putting the piece
          between 1001 and 1050. It narrows it down a bit more for you as you were
          asking. It may not be possible to date it any closer than a half century.

          Haraldr
        • ghalstead@adelphia.net
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
            Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would explain the preservation of the wood.

            1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation

            The site for the excavations is here: http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm

            And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!

            Ranulf

            ---- Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...> wrote:
            > Yes Geffrei, the problem is, in this case, there is very little text in the
            > first place 'right near that picture'. Therefore I am hoping that Philippe
            > might have been able to garner additional information ...
            >
            > I had already done a Google Translate on it.
            >
            > The important words on that page are:
            > * Pieces of Archeology of the surroundings of the year thousand found in
            > France.
            >
            > and:
            > * Crossbow Square Charavine 1 half XI
            >
            > Besides saying that it is a 'Crossbow', the rest of the latter sentence
            > doesn't make much sense.
            >
            > The title sentence says 'year thousand', so I would assume around 1000 ...
            > but I was hoping that perhaps elsewhere on the website there was more
            > information about specific year, or what region of France, etc. etc. The
            > stuff that you kinda need to read French and click around on the website to
            > figure out.
            >
            > Plus this appears to be a website of a different reinacting company, and
            > that is just a picture placed there by one of it's members. Without any
            > more details that I can see (perhaps there are there elsewhere) on what the
            > picture is from/etc.
            >
            > Siegfried
          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
              > Charavine = name of the locale where it was found.

              And here I just thought that was a word that bable/google wouldn't
              translate for me. Duh.

              > 1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation

              Ahh, I didn't realize. I'm used to only reading German, given that
              most period documentation on crossbows happens to be german. In
              German you would get:
              früh 11. Jahrhundert ... or early 11th Century

              Thanks for the help folks!

              Siegfried

            • Beth and Bob Matney
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                I would very much like to locate the archaeological reports of the
                artifacts from this site... The shuttles mentioned on the weaving page
                especially:
                http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/chepay.htm
                If these are boat shuttles (as implied), they will be the earliest
                (approx1010 AD) that I have been able to locate.

                Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!

                Beth Matney

                At 01:18 PM 8/2/2006, Ranulf wrote:

                >Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist
                >website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there
                >is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to
                >neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would
                >explain the preservation of the wood.
                >
                >1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation
                >
                >The site for the excavations is here:
                >http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm
                >
                >And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
                >
                >Ranulf
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                  But that is what you get when you have a historian set something up rather than an archer.  "But it came out of the same hole so they have to be together".   I was reading the mag "Williamsburg Times"  about a them changing the name of a historical site from "Custers(sp) Last Stand" Battlefield to "Little Bighorn" battlefield.  And changing the name of a "lunatic asylum" to "mental ward" just so they would not scare off contributors to the historic site.   And we complain about the Victorians about rewriting history.

                  James Cunningham
                  Too Old to be very PC
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Ranulf,
                    > And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!

                    Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
                    Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...

                    It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
                    And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
                    crosspin for the wedge.

                    Love the carved saddle-bows, too.

                    Colin
                  • JBRMM266@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006

                       I am a bit of a newcomer here, and am more of a student than a participant. My woodcrafting is of the most basic sort.

                      Still, I find that this list is prone to one of the problems that seems to permeate these lists: an identity crisis as to the subject of any given post.

                      Several different topics have been discussed recently, all under the subject "New Kid in Town," where none of the discussions had anything to do with the newcomer.

                      i entreat you, worthy gentles, when you start a new subject, to change the subject line on your post.

                      Your servant aye
                      Donal Mac Ruiseart

                    • Gary R. Halstead
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                        It looks as if there are two books on the subject:

                        Michel Colardelle, Eric Verdel. Chevaliers-paysans de l’an mil au lac
                        de Paladru. Paris : Editions Errance ; [Grenoble] : Musée Dauphinois,
                        c1993. 119 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm. ISBN: 2877720764

                        This looks to be the "popular" work

                        Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
                        formation d’un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
                        Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
                        Robert Fossier.

                        Paris : Editions de la Maison des sciences de l’homme, 1993. 416 p. :
                        ill. ; 30 cm. ISBN: 2735104990

                        Book Description: This volume reports on the excavation of a fortified
                        settlement constructed in AD 1003 and abandoned in 1040 before being
                        submerged under Lake Paladru. Many artefacts were remarkably well
                        preserved, and analysis extending into the surrounding landscape helped
                        provide important information concerning architecture in wood, arts and
                        crafts, food supply and agriculture. Once again the rewards of wet-site
                        archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs & 4 col plates.
                        (Documents d'Archaeologie Francaise 40, 1993).

                        Ranulf

                        Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
                        > I would very much like to locate the archaeological reports of the
                        > artifacts from this site... The shuttles mentioned on the weaving page
                        > especially:
                        > http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/chepay.htm
                        > If these are boat shuttles (as implied), they will be the earliest
                        > (approx1010 AD) that I have been able to locate.
                        >
                        > Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!
                        >
                        > Beth Matney
                        >
                        > At 01:18 PM 8/2/2006, Ranulf wrote:
                        >
                        >> Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist
                        >> website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there
                        >> is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to
                        >> neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would
                        >> explain the preservation of the wood.
                        >>
                        >> 1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation
                        >>
                        >> The site for the excavations is here:
                        >> http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm
                        >>
                        >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
                        >>
                        >> Ranulf
                      • Gary R. Halstead
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                          I'm guessing the sole is hollow (didn't realize the picture was
                          clickable). Did you notice they said plane*s*, but no saws, hmmm. I
                          wonder what else they found.

                          Ranulf

                          AlbionWood wrote:
                          > Ranulf,
                          >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
                          >>

                          > Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
                          > Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...
                          >
                          > It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
                          > And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
                          > crosspin for the wedge.
                          >
                          > Love the carved saddle-bows, too.
                          >
                          > Colin
                        • Robb Schuster
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                            Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
                            formation d'un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
                            Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
                            Robert Fossier.

                            --Its a pretty interesting book but not so easy to find
                            Even via ILL I had to wait sometime to get a copy.
                            The good news is that about the last 20 pages or so of it is an english translastion
                            The bad news is they use 20 pages to sum up 300+ pages of French:(

                            Halv

                            On 8/2/06, Gary R. Halstead <ghalstead@...> wrote:

[...]

                            archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs &amp; 4 col plates.

                            --
                            Halv

                            Never mistake the stary look in a huscarl's eye as reverance for a white belt...look to the beer in the chiv's hand.
                          • Beth and Bob Matney
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                              Thank you VERY much!

                              I'll track down copies of the books.