Re: [MedievalSawdust] Secrets to a flat chiseled recess?

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      > > D) I will let you in on my own preferred method of cheating:
      > >
      > > Mortising Machine. Ahh It makes sweet sweet work of making the
      > > trigger socket.
      >
      > Heh - for shallow grooves I'll sometimes break out the biscuit joiner.
      > Haven;t quite gotten the shop up to nice toys like that though..

      Well, given that 90% of the woodworking I do is crossbows.

      I don't really have the shop all set up THAT great. But the mortising
      machine was integral in speeding up crossbow production. Just for
      those trigger sockets.

      Oh, and my wife bought it for me for Christmas one year ... gotta love her!

      It makes a 'rough but not extremely rough' socket ... I take a file
      and file down the sides until it's smoother, nothing for the trigger
      to catch on, but it will still have the sterotypical mortising machine
      'wavy' effect (from the bit sticking out a bit from the chisels, and
      making little grooves), and then call it good.

      > Thanks for all the info!

      No problem!

      Siegfried