New kid in town!

  • ghisolfop
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 30, 2006
      Hello everyone from France,
      I'm Philippe Ghisolfo, 38 years old. I'm a member of "Fief & Chevalerie
      1180-1280" reenacting group.
      http://www.fiefetchevalerie.com/fief/
      Sorry about my bad english but i'll try to do my best. I'm going to read
      your posts first.
      I'm glad to be a member of your mailing list.
      Phil G
    • Helen Schultz
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 30, 2006
        Welcome to the list, Philippe.  Many of us are SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), a world-wide quasi-reenacting group.  So, if you see some odd signature blocks that do not match the e-mail address, that is why.

        There are some folks here who are VERY good at woodworking in the period ways (I just play at it a bit <smile>), so don't be shy about asking and commenting.

        Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
        Middle Kingdom

        The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

        Hello everyone from France,
        I'm Philippe Ghisolfo, 38 years old. I'm a member of "Fief & Chevalerie
        1180-1280" reenacting group.
        http://www.fiefetch evalerie. com/fief/
        Sorry about my bad english but i'll try to do my best. I'm going to read
        your posts first.
        I'm glad to be a member of your mailing list.
        Phil G

      • GHISOLFO PHILIPPE
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 30, 2006
          Ok and thank you!
          SCA is well known in France. And i know too that some of SCA members are very good at reenactment and at handworking in general.
          I'll won't be shy, even if writing in the best english i can is hard for me.
          Regards.
          Philippe G

          Welcome to the list, Philippe.  Many of us are SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) , a world-wide quasi-reenacting group.  So, if you see some odd signature blocks that do not match the e-mail address, that is why.

          There are some folks here who are VERY good at woodworking in the period ways (I just play at it a bit <smile>), so don't be shy about asking and commenting.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~
          http://meisterin. katarina. home.comcast. net

          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 30, 2006
            Well, I think your English is quite good.  I certainly couldn't write in French <smile>.  I did spend 6 years in Germany, and could maybe do passable German, though.  I got to see a little of France when I was there (back in the early 1980's), and even lead tours into Paris for the military families at the base in Germany where I was stationed.  I think I know a total of 20 words in French!! <grin>

            Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
            Middle Kingdom

            The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

            Ok and thank you!
            SCA is well known in France. And i know too that some of SCA members are very good at reenactment and at handworking in general.
            I'll won't be shy, even if writing in the best english i can is hard for me.
            Regards.
            Philippe G

            .

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 30, 2006
              Welcome to the list. Most of us are partime wood workers of various skill
              levels. Since you are in France I have a question. Have you ever heard of
              the top lever crossbow that was pulled from a lake in wester France?

              James Cunningham
              Maker of the infamous Cunningham top lever Crossbow
              > I'm Philippe Ghisolfo, 38 years old. I'm a member of "Fief & Chevalerie
              > 1180-1280" reenacting group.
              > http://www.fiefetchevalerie.com/fief/
              > Sorry about my bad english but i'll try to do my best. I'm going to read
              > your posts first.
              > I'm glad to be a member of your mailing list.
              > Phil G
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • jehan.yves
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 30, 2006
                Philippe,
                         Do not feel bad about your mastery of the English language. I know many native English speakers who wish that they could use the language as well as you. Welcome to the list.

                Lord Jehan Yves de Chateau Thiery
                Shire Caer Adamant, East Kingdom  SCA
                Millsboro, DE  USA

                At 12:28 PM 7/30/2006, you wrote:

[...]

                Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

                Jehan Yves

              • GHISOLFO PHILIPPE
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 30, 2006
                  It must be the crossbow from the "Paladru lake" at "Charavines" (France) near "Lyon"
                  Take a look on that:
                  and this:
                  Is that what you were looking for?
                  Philippe G

                • JBRMM266@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 30, 2006
                    Impossible de voir le premier lien . .  J'ai recu une message,

                    "Votre session a expiré -
                    Veuillez rafraîchir la page"

                    Mais quand je clique ce lien, je vois encore la meme message. Qu'est-ce que c'est?

                    Votre sereur,
                    Donal
                  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 31, 2006
                      That's what I was going to ask him I think.  I could open the first URL but not the other two. It looks like the bow I have seen befor but they have what looks like a roller nut with it.

                      James Cunningham

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 31, 2006
                        In a message dated 7/31/2006 10:07:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, cunning@... writes:
                        could open the first URL but not the other two.
                        h'm, your problem was the reverse of mine . . . I could open the second two but not the first!

                        Donal
                      • GHISOLFO PHILIPPE
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 1, 2006
                          Hi all,
                          Did you finally open the URL i 've sent you?
                          Philippe G
                          Visitez notre site web associatif:
                          Visit our group web site:
                          http://www.fiefetchevalerie.com

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                            James,   (Sorry folks, getting all Crossbow on ya here) ...

                            I'm having a hard time believing that that roller nut goes with that crossbow.

                            Just looking at the side view, there is an obvious notch (although it is angled forward, not backwards as one would expect from a top lever notch lock) ... And then right behind the notch, in the 'perfect place', is a hole drilled to pin a top lever.

                            It would certainly appear that the nut doesn't belong to that crossbow.

                            Siegfried

                            On 7/31/06, James W. Pratt, Jr. < cunning@...> wrote:
                            That's what I was going to ask him I think.  I could open the first URL but not the other two. It looks like the bow I have seen befor but they have what looks like a roller nut with it.

                            James Cunningham

                            THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust   -   http://crossbows.biz/
                            Barony of Highland Foorde   -   Baronial Archery Marshal
                            Kingdom of Atlantia   -   Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
                            http://eliw.com/  -  http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/
                          • Siegfried

                              That's what I was going to ask him I think.  I could open the first URL but not the other two. It looks like the bow I have seen befor but they have what looks like a roller nut with it.

                              James Cunningham

                              .

                              THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust   -   http://crossbows.biz/
                              Barony of Highland Foorde   -   Baronial Archery Marshal
                              Kingdom of Atlantia   -   Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
                              http://eliw.com/  -   http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/
                            • Geffrei Maudeleyne
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006

                                Translation trick for many sites. Go to the page you want. Highlight and copy what looks like the title or heading for the first section. Go to Google. Do a paste with quotes around the entry. When the results come up. Choose the (translate this page) option. It is very literal but could point you in the right direction. Bablefish is also an option for closer research, though it tends to be literal.

                                Geffrei

                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                   Have you ever tried that for the Manesse Codex site?  Many of the translated captions are hilarious.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                    Yes Geffrei, the problem is, in this case, there is very little text in the first place 'right near that picture'.  Therefore I am hoping that Philippe might have been able to garner additional information ...

                                    I had already done a Google Translate on it.

                                    The important words on that page are:
                                    * Pieces of Archeology of the surroundings of the year thousand found in France.

                                    and:
                                    * Crossbow Square Charavine 1 half XI

                                    Besides saying that it is a 'Crossbow', the rest of the latter sentence doesn't make much sense.

                                    The title sentence says 'year thousand', so I would assume around 1000 ... but I was hoping that perhaps elsewhere on the website there was more information about specific year, or what region of France, etc. etc.  The stuff that you kinda need to read French and click around on the website to figure out.

                                    Plus this appears to be a website of a different reinacting company, and that is just a picture placed there by one of it's members.  Without any more details that I can see (perhaps there are there elsewhere) on what the picture is from/etc.

                                    Siegfried

                                    On 8/2/06, Geffrei Maudeleyne <Geffrei@...> wrote:

[...]

                                  • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                      Siegfried wrote:
                                      > Yes Geffrei, the problem is, in this case, there is very little text in the
                                      > first place 'right near that picture'. Therefore I am hoping that Philippe
                                      > might have been able to garner additional information ...
                                      >
                                      > I had already done a Google Translate on it.
                                      >
                                      > The important words on that page are:
                                      > * Pieces of Archeology of the surroundings of the year thousand found in
                                      > France.
                                      >
                                      > and:
                                      > * Crossbow Square Charavine 1 half XI

                                      I would read that as 1st half of 11th Century so putting the piece
                                      between 1001 and 1050. It narrows it down a bit more for you as you were
                                      asking. It may not be possible to date it any closer than a half century.

                                      Haraldr
                                    • ghalstead@adelphia.net
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                        Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would explain the preservation of the wood.

                                        1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation

                                        The site for the excavations is here: http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm

                                        And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!

                                        Ranulf

                                        ---- Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...> wrote:
                                        > Yes Geffrei, the problem is, in this case, there is very little text in the
                                        > first place 'right near that picture'. Therefore I am hoping that Philippe
                                        > might have been able to garner additional information ...
                                        >
                                        > I had already done a Google Translate on it.
                                        >
                                        > The important words on that page are:
                                        > * Pieces of Archeology of the surroundings of the year thousand found in
                                        > France.
                                        >
                                        > and:
                                        > * Crossbow Square Charavine 1 half XI
                                        >
                                        > Besides saying that it is a 'Crossbow', the rest of the latter sentence
                                        > doesn't make much sense.
                                        >
                                        > The title sentence says 'year thousand', so I would assume around 1000 ...
                                        > but I was hoping that perhaps elsewhere on the website there was more
                                        > information about specific year, or what region of France, etc. etc. The
                                        > stuff that you kinda need to read French and click around on the website to
                                        > figure out.
                                        >
                                        > Plus this appears to be a website of a different reinacting company, and
                                        > that is just a picture placed there by one of it's members. Without any
                                        > more details that I can see (perhaps there are there elsewhere) on what the
                                        > picture is from/etc.
                                        >
                                        > Siegfried
                                      • Siegfried
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                          > Charavine = name of the locale where it was found.

                                          And here I just thought that was a word that bable/google wouldn't
                                          translate for me. Duh.

                                          > 1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation

                                          Ahh, I didn't realize. I'm used to only reading German, given that
                                          most period documentation on crossbows happens to be german. In
                                          German you would get:
                                          früh 11. Jahrhundert ... or early 11th Century

                                          Thanks for the help folks!

                                          Siegfried

                                        • Beth and Bob Matney
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                            I would very much like to locate the archaeological reports of the
                                            artifacts from this site... The shuttles mentioned on the weaving page
                                            especially:
                                            http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/chepay.htm
                                            If these are boat shuttles (as implied), they will be the earliest
                                            (approx1010 AD) that I have been able to locate.

                                            Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!

                                            Beth Matney

                                            At 01:18 PM 8/2/2006, Ranulf wrote:

                                            >Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist
                                            >website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there
                                            >is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to
                                            >neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would
                                            >explain the preservation of the wood.
                                            >
                                            >1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation
                                            >
                                            >The site for the excavations is here:
                                            >http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm
                                            >
                                            >And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
                                            >
                                            >Ranulf
                                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                              But that is what you get when you have a historian set something up rather than an archer.  "But it came out of the same hole so they have to be together".   I was reading the mag "Williamsburg Times"  about a them changing the name of a historical site from "Custers(sp) Last Stand" Battlefield to "Little Bighorn" battlefield.  And changing the name of a "lunatic asylum" to "mental ward" just so they would not scare off contributors to the historic site.   And we complain about the Victorians about rewriting history.

                                              James Cunningham
                                              Too Old to be very PC

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                                Ranulf,
                                                > And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!

                                                Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
                                                Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...

                                                It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
                                                And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
                                                crosspin for the wedge.

                                                Love the carved saddle-bows, too.

                                                Colin
                                              • JBRMM266@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006

                                                   I am a bit of a newcomer here, and am more of a student than a participant. My woodcrafting is of the most basic sort.

                                                  Still, I find that this list is prone to one of the problems that seems to permeate these lists: an identity crisis as to the subject of any given post.

                                                  Several different topics have been discussed recently, all under the subject "New Kid in Town," where none of the discussions had anything to do with the newcomer.

                                                  i entreat you, worthy gentles, when you start a new subject, to change the subject line on your post.

                                                  Your servant aye
                                                  Donal Mac Ruiseart

                                                • Gary R. Halstead
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                                    It looks as if there are two books on the subject:

                                                    Michel Colardelle, Eric Verdel. Chevaliers-paysans de l’an mil au lac
                                                    de Paladru. Paris : Editions Errance ; [Grenoble] : Musée Dauphinois,
                                                    c1993. 119 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm. ISBN: 2877720764

                                                    This looks to be the "popular" work

                                                    Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
                                                    formation d’un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
                                                    Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
                                                    Robert Fossier.

                                                    Paris : Editions de la Maison des sciences de l’homme, 1993. 416 p. :
                                                    ill. ; 30 cm. ISBN: 2735104990

                                                    Book Description: This volume reports on the excavation of a fortified
                                                    settlement constructed in AD 1003 and abandoned in 1040 before being
                                                    submerged under Lake Paladru. Many artefacts were remarkably well
                                                    preserved, and analysis extending into the surrounding landscape helped
                                                    provide important information concerning architecture in wood, arts and
                                                    crafts, food supply and agriculture. Once again the rewards of wet-site
                                                    archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs & 4 col plates.
                                                    (Documents d'Archaeologie Francaise 40, 1993).

                                                    Ranulf

                                                    Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
                                                    > I would very much like to locate the archaeological reports of the
                                                    > artifacts from this site... The shuttles mentioned on the weaving page
                                                    > especially:
                                                    > http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/chepay.htm
                                                    > If these are boat shuttles (as implied), they will be the earliest
                                                    > (approx1010 AD) that I have been able to locate.
                                                    >
                                                    > Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!
                                                    >
                                                    > Beth Matney
                                                    >
                                                    > At 01:18 PM 8/2/2006, Ranulf wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    >> Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist
                                                    >> website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there
                                                    >> is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to
                                                    >> neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would
                                                    >> explain the preservation of the wood.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> 1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation
                                                    >>
                                                    >> The site for the excavations is here:
                                                    >> http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm
                                                    >>
                                                    >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Ranulf
                                                  • Gary R. Halstead
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                                      I'm guessing the sole is hollow (didn't realize the picture was
                                                      clickable). Did you notice they said plane*s*, but no saws, hmmm. I
                                                      wonder what else they found.

                                                      Ranulf

                                                      AlbionWood wrote:
                                                      > Ranulf,
                                                      >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
                                                      >>

                                                      > Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
                                                      > Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...
                                                      >
                                                      > It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
                                                      > And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
                                                      > crosspin for the wedge.
                                                      >
                                                      > Love the carved saddle-bows, too.
                                                      >
                                                      > Colin
                                                    • Robb Schuster
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                                        Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
                                                        formation d'un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
                                                        Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
                                                        Robert Fossier.

                                                        --Its a pretty interesting book but not so easy to find
                                                        Even via ILL I had to wait sometime to get a copy.
                                                        The good news is that about the last 20 pages or so of it is an english translastion
                                                        The bad news is they use 20 pages to sum up 300+ pages of French:(

                                                        Halv

                                                        On 8/2/06, Gary R. Halstead <ghalstead@...> wrote:

[...]

                                                        archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs &amp; 4 col plates.

                                                        --
                                                        Halv

                                                        Never mistake the stary look in a huscarl's eye as reverance for a white belt...look to the beer in the chiv's hand.
                                                      • Beth and Bob Matney
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
                                                          Thank you VERY much!

                                                          I'll track down copies of the books.