Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Speaking of trestle tables. When and where?

    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 24, 2006
      --- Bruce Green <diegodepalos@...> wrote:

      > Your excellency,
      >
      > All of your points were well thought out and well
      > taken, except for the final one: "Remember that we
      > are the Society for CREATIVE ANACHRONISM look up the
      > definitions of the last two words."
      >
      > That statement has been used to excuse anything
      > and everything that is not pre-seventeenth century.
      > It doesn't hold water.

      Ok maybe I should have been a bit more clear.

      What I was trying to say is that sometimes you don't
      have to be able to document something for it to
      "fit the SCA context". Somewhere the phrase
      'reasonable
      attempt' needs to be factored in.

      There is a large portion of the SCA that just wants to
      have fun. They don't care about researching or
      documentation. A tunic and a pair of jeans is their
      idea of garb.

      If you can come up with something that looks medieval,
      or at least not modern from 10 feet away that is
      sometimes enough.

      Things like directors chairs with cloth covers,
      plastic folding tables with a table cloth covering the
      cooler underneath.....

      Yeah, sometimes its a bit harder to ignore, but I've
      never had anyone thrust their cooler in my face and
      yell "Look everyone, I have a cooler! That's not
      period
      and I don't care!"

      Sometimes the discussion of how period you are can
      come
      across as snobbish or elitist and "If you are not
      trying as hard to be period as I am then you should
      just go home."

      I just don't want that to be the attitude that is the
      norm. ( here on this list or anywhere else )

      Just so everyone knows, my lastest project was a
      triptych for a velvet Elvis ( painted like a saint )
      for a St Elvis party at Pennsic. The Lady I made it
      for
      is gonna gold leaf it and generally make it gaudy as
      hell. But it was fun and was never meant to be taken
      seriously. ( I'll share pics as soon as I get them )

      http://mail.yahoo.com