Re: [MedievalSawdust] another chair question

  • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2006
      On Sun, July 23, 2006 10:34, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart said:
      > Am I being overly catious or is the
      > most probable joint for the crossing
      > of the legs on this chair a real
      > potential weakness?
      >
      > What is the opinion on this chairs
      > 'periodness'? Has anyone seen anything
      > like it? I savd the picture but there
      > were no details about it's origin/time..

      I think it might rack a bit on uneven ground. The bent pieces and the way
      the wood is working imply that it is designed for lighter use than some
      other designs. I am unsure how old it would be. Do you have the original
      filename of the picture? You can try to search google images for the
      filename and see if it returns a webpage that is useful.

      I am unsure that you could make a breakdown version of this that wouldn't
      severely weaken the X joint and/or risk it falling apart on uneven ground.
      Instead consider the simpler style of folding scissors armchair depicted
      at: http://www.designboom.com/eng/education/folding/medieval.html

      It is well versed in middle to late period (though it isn't appropriate
      for me in the viking age). Relatively innexpensive to make and can be made
      of lightweight woods such that it is easy to transport. It can be adjusted
      to suit the depth of the posterior it is intended to accomodate. It can be
      made stronger to accomodate more fundament. It can be made with rod peened
      over like rivets or with threaded rod and wooden caps to hide the
      hardware.

      Haraldr
      --
      Dave Calafrancesco

      ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!