Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Chairs & Comfy-ness

  • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 23, 2006
      A folding camp stool is indeed period. From egyptian, through roman, into
      the middle ages, 1580s and even up to the 21st century. It's found lots of
      use. See for some ideas and examples of pieces that have been found. Note
      that not all folding stools need to be as fancy as some of the ones
      depicted.

      http://www.designboom.com/eng/education/folding/medieval.html

      There is also the technique of making 3 legged stools, a slab of wood,
      three pieces of firewood shaped with a drawknife/axe and an auger are all
      that are needed. Drop dead period for the viking age etc. There is the
      larger bench made from a larger slab of wood and four legs (again made
      from scrap firewood shaped with axes and drawknifes). Simple benches and
      stools for camp use are common throughout every period I can think of.
      It's the big fancy chairs that are less common, though more examples
      survived due to their being big and fancy.

      The simple stools likely gave their lives in service and were then used to
      produce heat and light.

      Haraldr

      --
      Dave Calafrancesco

      ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!