Re: [MedievalSawdust] new topic - classes

  • Elizabeth Brakhage
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2006
      I haven't taught any classes, but I took my first woodworking class because it was a hands-on class.  I got to make a 3 legged campstool.  Even got to cut the wood from the tree with a 2-person saw.  I had a blast. :-)

      Sara Sophia

      maf@... wrote:
      Ok a few2 weeks ago at a camping event I taught a class on basic medieval woodworking tools, it seemed popular but no ladies took the class, when I asked around most said it was because it was a "hands on" class. The hands on portion was an optional portion of trying out some of my hand made tools, plus a side by side trial between a spoon bit and a twist bit in the same hand drill.

      So my questions are:
      Is it common for woodworking classes to be this one sided (10 to 0) ?
      Do other people find the ladies scared off by hands on work?
      What can we do to change this?

      Mark