Re: [medievalsawdust] Book, and interesting item...

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 8 , May 15, 2003
      Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

      > --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
      > > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
      > > purchased)
      > > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
      > > *very*
      > > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
      > > lacquer
      > > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
      > > other
      > > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
      > > book
      > > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
      > > single
      > > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
      > > opens
      > > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
      > > camp-chairs)...
      > > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
      > > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
      > > woodworking
      > > > challenge...
      > >
      > > There's one pictured between the title page and the
      > > table of contents
      > > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
      > > Tradition." It's
      > > dated to the early seventeen century.
      > >
      > > Ulrich
      > >

      > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
      > about how to make them.

      That was one of the subjects for one of his woodworking shows
      about three years back. I don't recall that one still being for
      sale though. The tricky bit is sawing the hinges accurately.
      X-Acto makes a very fine small pointed straight saw-blade about
      two inches long on the cutting edge. Of course you have to figure
      out the height you want it to sit and set your hinge angles.

      Magnus