Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Chemically Blackening

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 10, 2006
      I haven't played with the blackening metal thing myself... but watched a blacksmith blacken forged iron by BRUSHING ON wax or paraffin while the metal was still glowing from forge.  (The wax stuff was in a bucket near the forge...   well, near enough to be melted... NOT near enough to suddenly flash into flames...)

      I would repeat... he BRUSHED ON THE WAX...  I can imagine the conflagration if one dipped a yellow hot iron into a bucket of paraffin...  again... no real personal experience... but the ol' slightly still functioning sense of self preservation sez' this probably would be a bad thing.

      Don't know if anybody else has seen or practiced this... but it made a nice black surface on the metal... and it involves fire... which is a bonus.

      Probably best done OUTDOORS with a fire extinguisher and/or bucket of water handy...  having a phone to call 911 if things go really wrong probably wouldn't be a bad idea either...

      Chas.
    • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 10, 2006
        Last Monday I was at a place called Old Sturbridge Village, an 1830's
        recreation site near Boston, MA and had an opportunity to make a drive
        hook on the fordge. When we were all done forming it, we quenched it in a
        wooden bucket of boiled linseed oil. It was after the last forming was
        done so the metal was no longer glowing. It seemed to work nicely to
        blacken the piece. Note that we had to drop the piece and used a special
        pair of tongs to pull the piece out of the gooey bucket and wiped the
        excess off with a rag.

        Does anyone have any info on how they solved this in the Viking age? I
        know they had linseed oil and used it for finishing lots of things and it
        isn't a stretch for applying it to hot metal.

        Haraldr

        --
        Dave Calafrancesco

        ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!