Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: 'sawhorse' trestle tables

  • Stefan von Kiel
    Message 1 of 16 , May 14, 2003
      Hello Colin,

      More thoughts on period style trestle tables...

      >Basically what you describe is a very traditional way of making 'trestle
      >tables.' I've made them that way myself and it is definitely the best. I
      >think the vertically-wedged tenon is the strongest and best knockdown joint
      >there is.

      I agree.

      >However... the question is how to use that joint on the 'sawhorse' trestles
      >that we were originally discussing. (Apparently there is a terminology
      >problem; what we call a 'trestle table' does not use 'sawhorse trestles.' )

      I've been calling the "sawhorse trestle" a period tressle and the commonly
      trestle a standard trestle. I made a standard trestle out of 4/4 hickory
      and use it
      as a work table. It is heavy and very sturdy. If there is a better name
      for the two
      types of trestle tables, I'd like to know so I can call it by it's proper

      >The problem I'm having with my tripod trestles isn't vertical wobbling,
      >it's side-to-side wobbling. Using a vertical wedge instead of a horizontal
      >pin might improve that a little; but I suspect a big part of my problem is
      >that the front pieces are only 1/2" thick, which means there isn't much
      >bearing surface between the tenon and the mortise. I'd like to rotate the
      >top stretcher, so it is flat/horizontal (which is the way the medieval ones
      >seem to have been done), but then there's no room for knockdown joinery.
      >(Maybe I need to post a photo showing the detail of this joint?)

      I've seen drawings and illuminations with the horizontal stretcher but
      see a way to make it break down and be sturdy. Maybe if the legs had a
      and went into a mortise in the horizontal stretcher, but no way to secure it
      with a pin.

      >What I think I need to do is make the front as an A-shape (two legs with a
      >horizontal stretcher) out of 6/4 stock so there is more depth to the
      >mortise, and maybe use 6/4 for the top stretcher as well so I can put wider
      >shoulders on the tenon. But all this drives the cost way up, and the
      >weight, too. I don't think I'd sell many of them.

      For the front leg, I have tried using a triangle with the legs going up the
      and meeting at the top. I wasn't using a mortis/tenon joint but it would
      worked well. Now I'm cutting a 15 degree angle on both parts of the leg for
      a 30 degree spread. I don't make the top a point. I cut it back so the top
      flat and about 2 " wide. I've used 30 degrees a few times and it seems

      Stefan von Kiel
      Dwarven Axe Armoury