Re: [medievalsawdust] Book, and interesting item...

    Message 1 of 8 , May 13, 2003
      --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

      > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
      > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
      > purchased)
      > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
      > *very*
      > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
      > lacquer
      > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
      > other
      > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
      > book
      > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
      > single
      > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
      > opens
      > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
      > camp-chairs)...
      > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
      > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
      > woodworking
      > > challenge...
      >
      > There's one pictured between the title page and the
      > table of contents
      > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
      > Tradition." It's
      > dated to the early seventeen century.
      >
      > Ulrich

      one of Roy Underhill's books talks
      about how to make them.

      and mentions that it's the same principle
      as those little wooden pilers that turn
      up at woddcarving shows...

      =====

      http://search.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2003
        > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
        > about how to make them.
        >
        > and mentions that it's the same principle
        > as those little wooden pilers that turn
        > up at woddcarving shows...

        ummm.... nevermind....

        wow, that a lot more complicated!

        Need better pictures!

        =====

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • rmhowe
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2003
          Michael Suggs wrote:

          > Yes, I've seen the pliers in Underhill's book. This, however,
          > works slightly differently--rather than being a simple hinge,
          > it's actually *two* sets of hinges, such that the "X" telescopes
          > out to be taller than the original piece of wood... It's
          > difficult to explain, but once I get a photo up, you'll see
          > what I mean.
          >
          > --Mikhail Novgorodets

          The local crafts center has a pair of side to side screwed
          lap-jointed wooden pliers made specificly for holding jewelry
          bits to buff up or deburr. Works quite well. I have a pattern
          stuck to my light that I'll one day make.

          Master Magnus

          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, john j tobako
          > <jjtobako@j...> wrote:
          > > one of the Underhill books has instructions on how to build one.
          > it's
          > > somewhat hidden in the description of a pair of wood pliers that
          > work in
          > > the same way.
          > >
          > > john tobako
        • rmhowe
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 2003
            Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

            > --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
            > > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
            > > purchased)
            > > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
            > > *very*
            > > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
            > > lacquer
            > > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
            > > other
            > > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
            > > book
            > > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
            > > single
            > > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
            > > opens
            > > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
            > > camp-chairs)...
            > > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
            > > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
            > > woodworking
            > > > challenge...
            > >
            > > There's one pictured between the title page and the
            > > table of contents
            > > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
            > > Tradition." It's
            > > dated to the early seventeen century.
            > >
            > > Ulrich
            > >

            > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
            > about how to make them.

            That was one of the subjects for one of his woodworking shows
            about three years back. I don't recall that one still being for
            sale though. The tricky bit is sawing the hinges accurately.
            X-Acto makes a very fine small pointed straight saw-blade about
            two inches long on the cutting edge. Of course you have to figure
            out the height you want it to sit and set your hinge angles.

            Magnus