Re: [MedievalSawdust] Carts...

  • Thorolfr inn smithr
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 3, 2006
      Thorolfr inn smithr wrote:
      > I managed to get it assembled for an event this past weekend. I've added
      > a photo of it at the event to my gallery.
      >
      > I learned a few things from making this cart.
      >
      > Wooden wheels should be banded, as this helps keep them together. I have
      > to reglue one of my wheels and band both.
      >
      > Wheels which rotate independently of each other work better than wheels
      > which are fixed to the axle.
      >
      > Although I didn't get to rounding the wheels, the twelve segmented
      > wheels still rolled fairly well.
      >
      > A cart makes a very nice addition to a camps atmosphere.
      >
      > -Thorolfr

      So, I was able to correct a couple of issues for an event this past weekend. I rounded the wheels and banded them using pipe hangar strap steel which made it work ever so much better. I hadn't gotten around to dealing with the issue of the wheels turning independently of each other and as a result I have to rebuild my wheels.

      Here is my cart with me taking a couple of people for a spin. Sorry about the slightly blurry photo.
      http://tinyurl.com/zahk8

      Here is my cart after an enthusiastic young lad took a pelican for a spin. Apparently he tried to take a corner too quickly and since the wheels didn't turn independently, the hub on one wheel was torn apart. Fortunately the rider was uninjured.
      http://tinyurl.com/l6bw3

      Even a broken cart adds nicely to an encampments atmosphere.

      As Wile E. Coyote says... "Well, back to the ol' drawing board"

      -Thorolfr