making a wheel barrow

  • Johann Friedrich
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
      Has anyone ever had one of those projects where almost every step has
      something wrong? My latest project is doing that to me. I decided to
      finally build a wheel barrow since it's been on my TODO list for at least
      a couple years now. The only thing that has gone about as expected was
      cutting out the side boards from 2x12 material. After that point, almost
      everything else has had a mis-measurement, mis-calculation, or something
      just not working properly. The first of the two bottom boards was too
      short (will still be able to use it though). The fellies were just not
      right, but I'm confident that they will still work. It took me three
      tries to get the spokes the proper length (forgot the difference between a
      diameter and a radius, and subtracted 1.5" when I should have added in my
      calculations).

      I'm pretty sure that most of these issues are because I'm doing this work
      first thing in the morning when the temps are still below 100F. I've
      never really been a morning person, and this experience isn't doing
      anyting to help with that idea. =-)

      Anyway.. here is a page where I am keeping track of my progress on this
      project.

      http://trod.org/projects/woodworking/wheel_barrow.html

      Ken Bowley yahoo@...
      AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
        >> Has anyone ever had one of those projects where almost every step
        has something wrong? <<

        Yep...  my first shot at the wheelbarrow yielded some *interesting* results...  the second wuz' better...  then folks started making it right...  Winking smiley emoticon

        Nice looking project.  I really like the multi-board bottom.

        Chas.
      • Johann Friedrich
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
          On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, James Winkler wrote:

          >>> Has anyone ever had one of those projects where almost every step has something wrong? <<
          >
          > Yep... my first shot at the wheelbarrow yielded some *interesting*
          > results... the second wuz' better... then folks started making it
          > right...

          I think that first board I cut was trying to mimic your narrow
          wheelbarrow. =-)

          > Nice looking project. I really like the multi-board bottom.

          Thanks! Your page was a HUGE help in getting me started on this project.

          Ken Bowley yahoo@...
          AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
        • Tom Rettie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone ever had one of those projects where almost every step has
            > something wrong?

            When I was building mine, I had to keep reminding myself, "remember, it's only a wheel
            barrow. It sits out in the weather and you use it to haul junk around. It doesn't have to be
            perfect, it just has to work."

            Once you put a metal tire on the wheel, any imperfections will be unnoticeable.

            Very nice work.

            Fin
            (Tom R.)

            Blood and Sawdust
            http://www.his.com/tom/index.html
          • Johann Friedrich
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
              On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Tom Rettie wrote:

              > When I was building mine, I had to keep reminding myself, "remember, it's only a wheel
              > barrow. It sits out in the weather and you use it to haul junk around. It doesn't have to be
              > perfect, it just has to work."

              heh.. that's what I kept telling myself on this project. I also give
              myself a little extra slack any time I'm trying something new. The
              challenge this time was the wheel.

              > Once you put a metal tire on the wheel, any imperfections will be unnoticeable.

              I've got a few gaps that I plan on filling with a combination of glue and
              sawdust (homemade woodputty =-)). I figure that after I fill the little
              gaps and get everything sanded and oiled, the imprefections won't be that
              noticable anyway. the metal tire will just help to distract from the
              rest.

              > Very nice work.

              Thank you very much! I believe I have a few of your projects linked from
              my site in order to give me something to shoot for when I finally get
              around to learning how to do some turning.