Staining wood

  • Talmoor
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
      What is your prefered method of applying stain? I have heard of people
      useing brushes, rags, and sponges. I am finding brushes put alot of
      stain on fast but it leaves alot in the cracks and grooves. I was
      thinking of trying to use rags to rub the stain into the wood but
      wanted to get some feedback from others that have tried this method.
      In this case the chairs will be used outdoors and I am useing minwax
      polyshades.

      Thanks
      Alasdair Mac Roibeirt
    • M Descoteau
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
        For me, I use a brush in most cases to put the stain
        on the wood, depending on how dark I want it to get,
        and then rub/wipe the extra off with a rag to even out
        the stain over the wood

        Mike

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
          a rag.... and a 'cleaner' rag to wipe excess off.

          --- Talmoor <talmoor@...> wrote:

          > What is your prefered method of applying stain? I
          > have heard of people
          > useing brushes, rags, and sponges. I am finding
          > brushes put alot of
          > stain on fast but it leaves alot in the cracks and
          > grooves. I was
          > thinking of trying to use rags to rub the stain into
          > the wood but
          > wanted to get some feedback from others that have
          > tried this method.
          > In this case the chairs will be used outdoors and I
          > am useing minwax
          > polyshades.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Alasdair Mac Roibeirt

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Dave Ordway
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
            I've used the polyshades and I recommend a brush with this type of finish.  It doesn't have to be a good one.  Throw it away when you're done.

            Lagerstein