RE: [MedievalSawdust] Grain in joints and finishing questions

  • Chuck Phillips
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
      Conal;

      Even if intended (and I'm sure none was), no offense was taken. This is
      one of the most civil mailing lists I've even subscribed to.

      Charles Joiner
      A little better rested now, watching Le Tour on the TV.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006

        A short story on grain.

        In High School we designed and built our own furniture instead of bird houses. I designed a game table with a checkerboard in the middle. The board had all of it’s grain going in one direction. Then I wrapped it in a frame of walnut with the grain going along the sides of the checkerboard. I filled out the bulk the table top with poplar that ran in two directions and then banded the eight sided table top with walnut that ran in four different directions. The walnut came from someone’s grandfather’s barn attic, many years old. The poplar was kiln dried.

        My shop teacher was in on all of this planning and execution. He should have been executed. We built our projects an hour a day for several months so it did not get a finish until late in the game. By then it was too late anyway. Wood, even when removed from the tree grows and shrinks. I had to fight the top to re-glue all the joints when they pushed each other apart. In disgust, the table now has a painted piece of birch plywood.

        Projects like the 6 board box have room for the legs to get longer etc. you have just an angle to another.

        Compare to:

        -l-l-l

        l-l-l-

        -l-l-l

        If the lines crudely denote grain direction. The interior swelling and shrinking directly affects every other joint. Adding things like dovetails, biscuits, dowels and pegs also affect your results.

        Geffrei