Treenailing? WAS: Grain in joints and finishing questions

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2006
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, AlbionWood <albionwood@...>
      wrote:

      > Most of the 16th c. six-board chests appear to have been
      > treenailed; some appear to have used iron nails.

      I'm guessing from the context that "treenailing" is using some kind
      of narrow pegs as if they were metal nails -- but could you
      elaborate, please?

      > I use Tremont nails in slightly oversize holes. My main problem is
      > cupping as the boards shrink in dry climates; this is exacerbated
      > by my use of 1/2" boards for the sides (to save weight).
      >
      > It's possible that
      > the peg holes in the tenons were elongated (this is what I usually
      > do), but it's also possible that the combination of flexible pegs
      > and thick lumber accommodates all the cross-grain movement.

      Elongated how, please?

      Also, the book which started my thinking about this issue, says
      that "when assembing a box or drawer [this is one where the grain of
      all four sides is the same] turn the boards so tha annuual rings
      curve out [...] The board's natural tendency to cup will keep the
      corner joints tight at the edges."

      Gillian [grateful with the patience of this group for her questions!]
      Durham
    • albionwood
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2006
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "msgilliandurham"
        <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:

        > > I'm guessing from the context that "treenailing" is using some kind
        > of narrow pegs as if they were metal nails -- but could you
        > elaborate, please?

        Treenails are basically wooden nails. There really isn't much
        difference between pegs and treenails, except the latter sounds
        cooler. It's more the way they are used that's different: Treenailing
        implies (to me at least) fixing one board atop another, whereas
        pegging is a way to lock mortise and tenon joints together.

        Note well, however, that these terms aren't rigidly defined, so other
        writers may use them in different ways. (I think in boatbuilding a
        treenail means a peg with a head, like an unthreaded bolt, so it can't
        be pulled through a board. But what I know about boatbuilding
        wouldn't cloud your vision if it was in your eye, so...)

        > Elongated how, please?

        When pegging a wide, cross-grain mortise-and-tenon joint, you can
        elongate the peg holes in the tenon so that the tenoned board can move
        without opening up the joint. For example, a breadboard end might be
        fixed with three (or five) pegs. The center one is done the usual way
        (i.e. drawbored - the hole in the tenon is offset slightly toward the
        shoulder, relative to the holes in the mortise) so all movement is
        away from the center. The other holes (also drawbored) can be
        elongated slightly across the grain, so that the tabletop can shrink
        or swell without cracking.

        I don't think this was ordinarily done much in the MA because thick
        riven planks don't actually move that much, and because the pegs are
        flexible enough to accommodate some movement. But I wouldn't be
        surprised to see it on clamped-front chests or tabletops in the late MA.

        > Also, the book which started my thinking about this issue, says
        > that "when assembing a box or drawer [this is one where the grain of
        > all four sides is the same] turn the boards so tha annuual rings
        > curve out [...] The board's natural tendency to cup will keep the
        > corner joints tight at the edges."

        This is true only if the board is losing moisture and shrinking. The
        outside of a log shrinks more than the inside, so it cups opposite the
        curvature of the rings. It's also only true for plainsawn (flatsawn)
        lumber. Quartersawn lumber has little tendency to cup.

        Cheers,
        Colin
      • Chuck Phillips
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
          Conal;

          Even if intended (and I'm sure none was), no offense was taken. This is
          one of the most civil mailing lists I've even subscribed to.

          Charles Joiner
          A little better rested now, watching Le Tour on the TV.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006

            A short story on grain.

            In High School we designed and built our own furniture instead of bird houses. I designed a game table with a checkerboard in the middle. The board had all of it’s grain going in one direction. Then I wrapped it in a frame of walnut with the grain going along the sides of the checkerboard. I filled out the bulk the table top with poplar that ran in two directions and then banded the eight sided table top with walnut that ran in four different directions. The walnut came from someone’s grandfather’s barn attic, many years old. The poplar was kiln dried.

            My shop teacher was in on all of this planning and execution. He should have been executed. We built our projects an hour a day for several months so it did not get a finish until late in the game. By then it was too late anyway. Wood, even when removed from the tree grows and shrinks. I had to fight the top to re-glue all the joints when they pushed each other apart. In disgust, the table now has a painted piece of birch plywood.

            Projects like the 6 board box have room for the legs to get longer etc. you have just an angle to another.

            Compare to:

            -l-l-l

            l-l-l-

            -l-l-l

            If the lines crudely denote grain direction. The interior swelling and shrinking directly affects every other joint. Adding things like dovetails, biscuits, dowels and pegs also affect your results.

            Geffrei