What's happened to Candle Services? Wooden Lanthorns & wax-oil lights.

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 8:40 AM
      Gentles of the List,
      WOODEN LANTHORNS
      A small production run of wooden lanthorns will my next "hobby" project - seeing as how I now have a lot of small offcuts of Oak and Ash in my workshop after delivering a large "mundane" order for cill-boards and carpet-pieces.
      Desiring to raise the authenticity-level of my own House's display, I intend to make enough wooden lanthorns for my own three tents, and also for the camp of  Merchant & Shipmaster Guy Le Lievre - another of our Companie. [I envisage between us we'll use about 20 units. Perhaps one or two others of our Companions will also want a replica wooden lanthorn, so I'm allowing for a few "spares" for them, just in case. ]
      I intend to copy both Master Terafan Greydragon's design, and also to make replicas of those recovered from the salvaged hull of the "Mary Rose".
      I haven't looked at the shophours-per-unit, yet , - so have no idea of cost - but as most of the work is machining, and as I will be setting-up a machining "run" for at least 20 units for Guy and myself, - it will be no extra work to make some more, for any of you out there who'd also like to have wooden lanthorns to "grace" your encampments.
       This is not intended to be a commercial advert - I earn my living as a carpenter and joiner producing 2nd-fix woodwork for the modern Construction Industry - the "mediæval" woodwork I make is done 95% for my own use and my own pleasure.
      However - - -
       I intend to begin this project within the next  week, as I would like to have our lanthorns completed for use at our Companie's end-of-July Camp. So, I make this offer - any of you who'd like a wooden lanthorn or more - for your own tents - e-mail me offlist so I can get some idea of numbers; and by that time I should have an idea of labour-costs-per-unit - which is all I'll be looking to recover. [And P & P atop that, of course!]
      WAX-OIL LIGHTS
       Master Terafan recommends  "Candle Services" as a source for the refillable lgihts - but even as of today their listed website at www.candleservices.com is no longer even coming-up on the Net, let alone responding to e-mails. Does anyone know what has happened to them?
      Or, better yet, does anyone have an alternative Merchant Source for these refillable wax-oil lights?

      God's Blessings upon you all, this Feast of St. Servan.

      Mary Taran <marytaran@...> wrote:
      If you use Sunforger (the canvas of choice) it will be water
      resistant in the cloth. Using flat-felled seams is a good choice for
      strength and helps with watertightness. Using a cotton-wrapped
      polyester thread means that your thread will to a large degree swell
      in the wet to fill up your needle-holes. If you're certain that the
      very small amount of moisture that may get beyond these precautions
      will be too much for you, you can get seam sealant at any camping
      goods store or Wal-Mart. Painting your seamlines after assembly with
      external latex paint for decoration will also make a moisture
      barrier. Finally, making an inner liner (which can be very
      decorative) will pretty much prevent any of the fine mist that may
      work its way through your pavilion walls from getting to you or your
      belongings.

      Mary Taran

      At 06:14 PM 6/30/2006, you wrote:

      >Greetings.
      >
      >As I'm getting more into SCA event camping, the small modern tent I
      >have simply won't do anymore. So I'm thinking about trying to build a
      >pavilion. I was wondering if anyone might have any sites or
      >suggestions on the proper way to sew the canvas so it's water tight.
      >I'll admit my sewing talents aren't fabulous, so any help with that or
      >just site suggestions that might give proper instructions as to how to
      >make one yourself would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      >Many thanks.
      >--Alaric
      >
      >(I'd just buy one, but money is an issue, and I have a 13ft x 10ft
      >modern dining shade that I think can be 'converted' :)

      Yours in Service,
      Matthew
      ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497:
      Motto  - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War") ]
      aka. - Julian Wilson,  - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald, Historian, & Master Artisan to
      "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
      [the Island of "old" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
      Meet us at <  www.dukesleopards.org  >"
      -

    • tuamkoh
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6 8:12 PM
        M,

        I would be interested in a pair of these Lanthorns if you could post
        pics when you have the first ready, send me a private e-mail with
        costs.
        I was considering a similar project, but my skills and motivation
        (and tools) are not yet up to it.

        Tuam Arlichinno

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > >Many thanks.
        > >--Alaric
        > >
        > >(I'd just buy one, but money is an issue, and I have a 13ft x 10ft
        > >modern dining shade that I think can be 'converted' :)
        >

        > Yours in Service,
        > Matthew
        > ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-
        1497:
        > Motto - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for
        Peace, prepare for War") ]
        > aka. - Julian Wilson, - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald,
        Historian, & Master Artisan to
        > "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
        > [the Island of "old" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
        > Meet us at < www.dukesleopards.org >"
        > [input]
        > -

        > All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its
        simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine