Re: [MedievalSawdust] hmmmm ( cooler chest ) epoxy digression

  • Karl Christoffers
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2006
      Greetings from Malcolm macGregor,

      --- Dave Ordway <dabugler@...> wrote:

      ><snip>
      >
      > I would love to hear about the finishing of this
      > interior. I like the idea of using a plywood veneer
      > but how could it be protected from water damage? My
      > initial thoughts would be a marine grade poly. I'm
      > not a boat builder but I do know that they treat
      > plywood surfaces with some kind of two part epoxy
      > that makes them waterproof. Would this be the way
      > to go or is Spar Varnish acceptable? I like the
      > idea of a cooler chest that looks like wood on the
      > inside as well as out.
      >
      > Lagerstein

      The epoxy is structural, while spar varnish is just a
      coating. The (IIRC, remember) thin plywood interior
      functions as the stiffening reinforcement of the
      epoxy, instead of the fiberglass, carbon-fiber, or
      anything else one might want to use to make an
      epoxy/composite structure. Epoxy coated stuff that is
      outside in the sun is supposed to get UV shielding
      varnish on top, if there is no UV shield mixed into
      the epoxy itself.

      Cured epoxy is also supposed to be really inert. I
      have read commentary on making wood-and-epoxy
      composite water tanks for boats -- though without any
      reference to testing data on whether anything leaches
      out of the cured epoxy over the long term. I have no
      serious concerns with an epoxy ice chest interior.

      http://mail.yahoo.com