dovetail redux

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2006
      Saw this on vikinganswerlady.com:

      "An example of the use of the dovetail joint is in one of the weaving frames from the Oseberg ship burial (Shetelig & Falk 1917)."

      Anyone ever eyeball these weaving frames? Can you describe em?

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2006
        I've built one and am working on a few more.

        Basicly it is a fairly typical upright narrow tape loom. The base consists
        of two flat feet connected with a stretcher of wood. The uprights are
        mortised through the feet/stretcher and braced with a horizontal stretcher
        at about the half way point up the shaft. I have drawings around here
        somewhere from the Osebergfundet but can't get my hands on them at the
        moment.

        The stretcher for the base is attached to the feet using a basic sliding
        dovetail. There is then a mortise through the center of the stretcher and
        the foot for the upright.

        I'll try to find the drawings I have and post them somewhere.

        Haraldr

        On Wed, June 21, 2006 13:57, kjworz@... said:
        > Saw this on vikinganswerlady.com:
        >
        > "An example of the use of the dovetail joint is in one of the weaving
        > frames from the Oseberg ship burial (Shetelig & Falk 1917)."
        >
        > Anyone ever eyeball these weaving frames? Can you describe em?
        >
        > --
        > -Chris Schwartz
        > Silver Spring, MD

        Dave Calafrancesco

        ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!
      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2006
          Shetelig, Haakon and Hjalmar Falk. Osebergfundet. Universitets
          Aldsaksamling. 1917.

          I have posted to the photos section (folder Oseberg loom) details from the
          band loom (plate 13, Osebergfundet. Vol. 2) showing the sliding dovetail
          and a cutaway of the tenon through it.

          Beth