Re: Book, and interesting item...

  • Michael Suggs
    Message 1 of 8 , May 13, 2003
      Yes, I've seen the pliers in Underhill's book. This, however,
      works slightly differently--rather than being a simple hinge,
      it's actually *two* sets of hinges, such that the "X" telescopes
      out to be taller than the original piece of wood... It's
      difficult to explain, but once I get a photo up, you'll see
      what I mean.

      --Mikhail Novgorodets

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, john j tobako
      <jjtobako@j...> wrote:
      > one of the Underhill books has instructions on how to build one.
      it's

      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2003
        --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

        > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
        > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
        > purchased)
        > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
        > *very*
        > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
        > lacquer
        > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
        > other
        > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
        > book
        > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
        > single
        > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
        > opens
        > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
        > camp-chairs)...
        > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
        > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
        > woodworking
        > > challenge...
        >
        > There's one pictured between the title page and the
        > table of contents
        > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
        > Tradition." It's
        > dated to the early seventeen century.
        >
        > Ulrich

        one of Roy Underhill's books talks
        about how to make them.

        and mentions that it's the same principle
        as those little wooden pilers that turn
        up at woddcarving shows...

        =====

        http://search.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2003
          > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
          > about how to make them.
          >
          > and mentions that it's the same principle
          > as those little wooden pilers that turn
          > up at woddcarving shows...

          ummm.... nevermind....

          wow, that a lot more complicated!

          Need better pictures!

          =====

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • rmhowe
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2003
            Michael Suggs wrote:

            > Yes, I've seen the pliers in Underhill's book. This, however,
            > works slightly differently--rather than being a simple hinge,
            > it's actually *two* sets of hinges, such that the "X" telescopes
            > out to be taller than the original piece of wood... It's
            > difficult to explain, but once I get a photo up, you'll see
            > what I mean.
            >
            > --Mikhail Novgorodets

            The local crafts center has a pair of side to side screwed
            lap-jointed wooden pliers made specificly for holding jewelry
            bits to buff up or deburr. Works quite well. I have a pattern
            stuck to my light that I'll one day make.

            Master Magnus

            > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, john j tobako
            > <jjtobako@j...> wrote:
            > > one of the Underhill books has instructions on how to build one.
            > it's
            > > somewhat hidden in the description of a pair of wood pliers that
            > work in
            > > the same way.
            > >
            > > john tobako
          • rmhowe
            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 2003
              Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

              > --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
              > > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
              > > purchased)
              > > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
              > > *very*
              > > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
              > > lacquer
              > > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
              > > other
              > > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
              > > book
              > > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
              > > single
              > > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
              > > opens
              > > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
              > > camp-chairs)...
              > > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
              > > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
              > > woodworking
              > > > challenge...
              > >
              > > There's one pictured between the title page and the
              > > table of contents
              > > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
              > > Tradition." It's
              > > dated to the early seventeen century.
              > >
              > > Ulrich
              > >

              > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
              > about how to make them.

              That was one of the subjects for one of his woodworking shows
              about three years back. I don't recall that one still being for
              sale though. The tricky bit is sawing the hinges accurately.
              X-Acto makes a very fine small pointed straight saw-blade about
              two inches long on the cutting edge. Of course you have to figure
              out the height you want it to sit and set your hinge angles.

              Magnus