Re: [medievalsawdust] Book, and interesting item...

  • john j tobako
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2003
      one of the Underhill books has instructions on how to build one. it's
      somewhat hidden in the description of a pair of wood pliers that work in
      the same way.

      john tobako

      > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
      > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and purchased)
      > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something *very*
      > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic lacquer
      > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or other
      > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's book
      > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a single
      > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it opens
      > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous camp-chairs)...
      > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
      > > post to the list when I do. An interesting woodworking
      > > challenge...
      >
      > There's one pictured between the title page and the table of
      > contents
      > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition." It's
      > dated to the early seventeen century.
      >
      > Ulrich

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Michael Suggs
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2003
        Yes, I've seen the pliers in Underhill's book. This, however,
        works slightly differently--rather than being a simple hinge,
        it's actually *two* sets of hinges, such that the "X" telescopes
        out to be taller than the original piece of wood... It's
        difficult to explain, but once I get a photo up, you'll see
        what I mean.

        --Mikhail Novgorodets

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, john j tobako

        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2003
          --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

          > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
          > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
          > purchased)
          > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
          > *very*
          > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
          > lacquer
          > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
          > other
          > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
          > book
          > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
          > single
          > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
          > opens
          > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
          > camp-chairs)...
          > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
          > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
          > woodworking
          > > challenge...
          >
          > There's one pictured between the title page and the
          > table of contents
          > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
          > Tradition." It's
          > dated to the early seventeen century.
          >
          > Ulrich

          one of Roy Underhill's books talks
          about how to make them.

          and mentions that it's the same principle
          as those little wooden pilers that turn
          up at woddcarving shows...

          =====

          http://search.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2003
            > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
            > about how to make them.
            >
            > and mentions that it's the same principle
            > as those little wooden pilers that turn
            > up at woddcarving shows...

            ummm.... nevermind....

            wow, that a lot more complicated!

            Need better pictures!

            =====

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • rmhowe
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2003
              Michael Suggs wrote:

              > Yes, I've seen the pliers in Underhill's book. This, however,
              > works slightly differently--rather than being a simple hinge,
              > it's actually *two* sets of hinges, such that the "X" telescopes
              > out to be taller than the original piece of wood... It's
              > difficult to explain, but once I get a photo up, you'll see
              > what I mean.
              >
              > --Mikhail Novgorodets

              The local crafts center has a pair of side to side screwed
              lap-jointed wooden pliers made specificly for holding jewelry
              bits to buff up or deburr. Works quite well. I have a pattern
              stuck to my light that I'll one day make.

              Master Magnus

              > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, john j tobako
              > <jjtobako@j...> wrote:
              > > one of the Underhill books has instructions on how to build one.
              > it's
              > > somewhat hidden in the description of a pair of wood pliers that
              > work in
              > > the same way.
              > >
              > > john tobako
            • rmhowe
              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2003
                Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

                > --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
                > > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
                > > purchased)
                > > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
                > > *very*
                > > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
                > > lacquer
                > > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
                > > other
                > > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
                > > book
                > > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
                > > single
                > > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
                > > opens
                > > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
                > > camp-chairs)...
                > > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
                > > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
                > > woodworking
                > > > challenge...
                > >
                > > There's one pictured between the title page and the
                > > table of contents
                > > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
                > > Tradition." It's
                > > dated to the early seventeen century.
                > >
                > > Ulrich
                > >

                > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
                > about how to make them.

                That was one of the subjects for one of his woodworking shows
                about three years back. I don't recall that one still being for
                sale though. The tricky bit is sawing the hinges accurately.
                X-Acto makes a very fine small pointed straight saw-blade about
                two inches long on the cutting edge. Of course you have to figure
                out the height you want it to sit and set your hinge angles.

                Magnus