Re: [medievalsawdust] Book, and interesting item...

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2003
      --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
      > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and purchased)
      > an interesting little wooden thing... Something *very*
      > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic lacquer
      > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or other
      > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's book
      > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a single
      > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it opens
      > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous camp-chairs)...
      > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
      > post to the list when I do. An interesting woodworking
      > challenge...

      There's one pictured between the title page and the table of contents
      in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition." It's
      dated to the early seventeen century.

      Ulrich

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • john j tobako
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2003
        one of the Underhill books has instructions on how to build one. it's
        somewhat hidden in the description of a pair of wood pliers that work in
        the same way.

        john tobako

        > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
        > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and purchased)
        > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something *very*
        > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic lacquer
        > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or other
        > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's book
        > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a single
        > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it opens
        > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous camp-chairs)...
        > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
        > > post to the list when I do. An interesting woodworking
        > > challenge...
        >
        > There's one pictured between the title page and the table of
        > contents
        > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition." It's
        > dated to the early seventeen century.
        >
        > Ulrich

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Michael Suggs
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2003
          Yes, I've seen the pliers in Underhill's book. This, however,
          works slightly differently--rather than being a simple hinge,
          it's actually *two* sets of hinges, such that the "X" telescopes
          out to be taller than the original piece of wood... It's
          difficult to explain, but once I get a photo up, you'll see
          what I mean.

          --Mikhail Novgorodets

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, john j tobako

          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2003
            --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

            > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
            > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
            > purchased)
            > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
            > *very*
            > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
            > lacquer
            > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
            > other
            > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
            > book
            > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
            > single
            > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
            > opens
            > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
            > camp-chairs)...
            > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
            > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
            > woodworking
            > > challenge...
            >
            > There's one pictured between the title page and the
            > table of contents
            > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
            > Tradition." It's
            > dated to the early seventeen century.
            >
            > Ulrich

            one of Roy Underhill's books talks
            about how to make them.

            and mentions that it's the same principle
            as those little wooden pilers that turn
            up at woddcarving shows...

            =====

            http://search.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2003
              > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
              > about how to make them.
              >
              > and mentions that it's the same principle
              > as those little wooden pilers that turn
              > up at woddcarving shows...

              ummm.... nevermind....

              wow, that a lot more complicated!

              Need better pictures!

              =====

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • rmhowe
              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2003
                Michael Suggs wrote:

                > Yes, I've seen the pliers in Underhill's book. This, however,
                > works slightly differently--rather than being a simple hinge,
                > it's actually *two* sets of hinges, such that the "X" telescopes
                > out to be taller than the original piece of wood... It's
                > difficult to explain, but once I get a photo up, you'll see
                > what I mean.
                >
                > --Mikhail Novgorodets

                The local crafts center has a pair of side to side screwed
                lap-jointed wooden pliers made specificly for holding jewelry
                bits to buff up or deburr. Works quite well. I have a pattern
                stuck to my light that I'll one day make.

                Master Magnus

                > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, john j tobako
                > <jjtobako@j...> wrote:
                > > one of the Underhill books has instructions on how to build one.
                > it's
                > > somewhat hidden in the description of a pair of wood pliers that
                > work in
                > > the same way.
                > >
                > > john tobako
              • rmhowe
                Message 7 of 8 , May 15, 2003
                  Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

                  > --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
                  > > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
                  > > purchased)
                  > > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
                  > > *very*
                  > > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
                  > > lacquer
                  > > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
                  > > other
                  > > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
                  > > book
                  > > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
                  > > single
                  > > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
                  > > opens
                  > > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
                  > > camp-chairs)...
                  > > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
                  > > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
                  > > woodworking
                  > > > challenge...
                  > >
                  > > There's one pictured between the title page and the
                  > > table of contents
                  > > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
                  > > Tradition." It's
                  > > dated to the early seventeen century.
                  > >
                  > > Ulrich
                  > >

                  > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
                  > about how to make them.

                  That was one of the subjects for one of his woodworking shows
                  about three years back. I don't recall that one still being for
                  sale though. The tricky bit is sawing the hinges accurately.
                  X-Acto makes a very fine small pointed straight saw-blade about
                  two inches long on the cutting edge. Of course you have to figure
                  out the height you want it to sit and set your hinge angles.

                  Magnus