RE: [MedievalSawdust] Chest Advice

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006

      Oh, and I do like the birch idea.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto:medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Ron Jachim
      Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 11:45 PM
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Chest Advice

      I'm thinking of replacing my rather crude pine arming chest with a
      frame & panel version of the same. This is for the 17th century,
      though I've seen several 16th century ones that are similar to what
      I'm thinking of with frame & panel sides. Would the top & bottom be
      made of solid wood or frame & panel as well? I need it to seat two
      hefty people.

      Rough outside dimensions are 42"x16"x20"

      Oak is commonly used by many, but I was thinking of using birch, which
      was abundant in Poland -- oak may be too, but oak seems too "common"
      and I like the look of birch better. Any thoughts on woods?

      Ron