Book, and interesting item...

  • Michael Suggs
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2003
      Vsem--

      While away visitng the Great Silk Road (no, really...),
      my copy of the "Crafts and Everyday Life"/York
      archaeological excavation book (can't remember the exact
      name, don't have it on me) showed up. Flipped through
      it yesterday, and *WOW*... I'll have to sit down &
      pore through it, in my Copious Spare Time.

      Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and purchased)
      an interesting little wooden thing... Something *very*
      similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic lacquer
      art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or other
      book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's book
      as he lectures to his students). It's made of a single
      piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it opens
      up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous camp-chairs)...
      I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
      post to the list when I do. An interesting woodworking
      challenge...

      YIS,
      Mikhail "Chayka" Pavlovich Novgorodets
      Barony of Lochmere, Atlantia
      -mka-
      Michael Suggs
    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2003
        --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
        > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and purchased)
        > an interesting little wooden thing... Something *very*
        > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic lacquer
        > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or other
        > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's book
        > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a single
        > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it opens
        > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous camp-chairs)...
        > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
        > post to the list when I do. An interesting woodworking
        > challenge...

        There's one pictured between the title page and the table of contents
        in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition." It's
        dated to the early seventeen century.

        Ulrich

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • john j tobako
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2003
          one of the Underhill books has instructions on how to build one. it's
          somewhat hidden in the description of a pair of wood pliers that work in
          the same way.

          john tobako

          > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
          > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and purchased)
          > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something *very*
          > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic lacquer
          > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or other
          > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's book
          > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a single
          > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it opens
          > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous camp-chairs)...
          > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
          > > post to the list when I do. An interesting woodworking
          > > challenge...
          >
          > There's one pictured between the title page and the table of
          > contents
          > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition." It's
          > dated to the early seventeen century.
          >
          > Ulrich

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Michael Suggs
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2003
            Yes, I've seen the pliers in Underhill's book. This, however,
            works slightly differently--rather than being a simple hinge,
            it's actually *two* sets of hinges, such that the "X" telescopes
            out to be taller than the original piece of wood... It's
            difficult to explain, but once I get a photo up, you'll see
            what I mean.

            --Mikhail Novgorodets

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, john j tobako

            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2003
              --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

              > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
              > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
              > purchased)
              > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
              > *very*
              > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
              > lacquer
              > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
              > other
              > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
              > book
              > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
              > single
              > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
              > opens
              > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
              > camp-chairs)...
              > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
              > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
              > woodworking
              > > challenge...
              >
              > There's one pictured between the title page and the
              > table of contents
              > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
              > Tradition." It's
              > dated to the early seventeen century.
              >
              > Ulrich

              one of Roy Underhill's books talks
              about how to make them.

              and mentions that it's the same principle
              as those little wooden pilers that turn
              up at woddcarving shows...

              =====

              http://search.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2003
                > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
                > about how to make them.
                >
                > and mentions that it's the same principle
                > as those little wooden pilers that turn
                > up at woddcarving shows...

                ummm.... nevermind....

                wow, that a lot more complicated!

                Need better pictures!

                =====

                http://search.yahoo.com
              • rmhowe
                Message 7 of 8 , May 13, 2003
                  Michael Suggs wrote:

                  > Yes, I've seen the pliers in Underhill's book. This, however,
                  > works slightly differently--rather than being a simple hinge,
                  > it's actually *two* sets of hinges, such that the "X" telescopes
                  > out to be taller than the original piece of wood... It's
                  > difficult to explain, but once I get a photo up, you'll see
                  > what I mean.
                  >
                  > --Mikhail Novgorodets

                  The local crafts center has a pair of side to side screwed
                  lap-jointed wooden pliers made specificly for holding jewelry
                  bits to buff up or deburr. Works quite well. I have a pattern
                  stuck to my light that I'll one day make.

                  Master Magnus

                  > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, john j tobako
                  > <jjtobako@j...> wrote:
                  > > one of the Underhill books has instructions on how to build one.
                  > it's
                  > > somewhat hidden in the description of a pair of wood pliers that
                  > work in
                  > > the same way.
                  > >
                  > > john tobako
                • rmhowe
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 15, 2003
                    Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

                    > --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- Michael Suggs <chayka@...> wrote:
                    > > > Also while visiting Lands Afar, I found (and
                    > > purchased)
                    > > > an interesting little wooden thing... Something
                    > > *very*
                    > > > similar is depicted in period Persian/Islamic
                    > > lacquer
                    > > > art. It's a small stand for holding a Koran (or
                    > > other
                    > > > book--in one picture, it's holding a teacher's
                    > > book
                    > > > as he lectures to his students). It's made of a
                    > > single
                    > > > piece of wood, rather cunningly carved, so that it
                    > > opens
                    > > > up into an X (similar to the ubiquitous
                    > > camp-chairs)...
                    > > > I'll try to get a photo posted this week, and will
                    > > > post to the list when I do. An interesting
                    > > woodworking
                    > > > challenge...
                    > >
                    > > There's one pictured between the title page and the
                    > > table of contents
                    > > in Victor Chinnery's "Oak Furniture: The British
                    > > Tradition." It's
                    > > dated to the early seventeen century.
                    > >
                    > > Ulrich
                    > >

                    > one of Roy Underhill's books talks
                    > about how to make them.

                    That was one of the subjects for one of his woodworking shows
                    about three years back. I don't recall that one still being for
                    sale though. The tricky bit is sawing the hinges accurately.
                    X-Acto makes a very fine small pointed straight saw-blade about
                    two inches long on the cutting edge. Of course you have to figure
                    out the height you want it to sit and set your hinge angles.

                    Magnus