RE: [MedievalSawdust] Chest Advice

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2006
      Hmmm.  If you go for a frame and panel top, be sure to make the grooves the panel(s) floats in pretty beefy so that an equally beefy derriere doesn't push the panel through.  Were I making a chest with the same design considerations I'd go with a solid top.  I've never seen a frame and panel topped chest that was also for sitting.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2006
        ---
        I did a panel chest, last year, in oak style and rail, with baltic
        birch flat panels, since I wanted the same look for the top, but
        sturdy enough to sit on, so the top is 3/4 ply birch, framed in oak,
        since this was too thick to dado in, I used a rabit joint around all
        the top edges, using the plywood, I could get away with glueing the
        frame solid to the panel, turned out wery nice, and very strong.

        If your going with solid wood, birch is nice enough to work with,
        plenty strong, mills well, stains nice and evenly, quite stabil in
        higher grades, (way better choice than poplar) there is more than one
        species of birch available here, in different grades, it is commonly
        used for drawer frames on high end custom cabinets. I think you would
        be very happy with birch, and I agree, it is nice to see something
        other than oak.
        Jared

        In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Jachim" <Ron_Jachim@...> wrote:

        > I'm thinking of replacing my rather crude pine arming chest with a
        > frame & panel version of the same. This is for the 17th century,
        > though I've seen several 16th century ones that are similar to what
        > I'm thinking of with frame & panel sides. Would the top & bottom be
        > made of solid wood or frame & panel as well? I need it to seat two
        > hefty people.
        >
        > Rough outside dimensions are 42"x16"x20"
        >
        > Oak is commonly used by many, but I was thinking of using birch, which
        > was abundant in Poland -- oak may be too, but oak seems too "common"
        > and I like the look of birch better. Any thoughts on woods?
        >
        > Ron

      • C N Schwartz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006

          Oh, and I do like the birch idea.