Lions and tigers and bears... OH MY!!!

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
      [HUMOR MODE: on]

      Ya' know... the fun thing about the 'teflon pan' thing is that in the modern house... its probably the LOWEST source of any potential toxin that might be floating around...

      For example:

      Insecticides
      Pesticides
      Construction materials out gassing (formaldehyde is fairly common)
      New car smell??   Hey, hey, hey...   vinal breakdown and out gassing... NOT GOOD...
      Plastics giving off gasses
      Carpets giving off gasses
      Cleaning chemicals
      Food additives
      Living in an electro-magnetic cage
      Junk mail (stress)
      Darn near anything on TV  (see: herald cocktail)
      Propane, methane, carbon monoxide, dioxide and some-other-oxide...
      then... let's take a look at allergens and pathogens
      Highways, byways and skyways
      Muggers, buggers and thieves...
      Scratch and sniff ads
      Internet viruses and hoaxes
      Bad tools
      Good tools sharpened badly
      Global warming/cooling
      The price of a stamp
      The fattening of America
      Cow out-gassing (see: Global warming/cooling)
      Mad Cow... or just pissed-off cow disease
      Antibiotics are killing our immune system and making stronger bugs
      Aliens
      Pseudo-Aliens
      ... your neighbors!!!!

      Fact... the world is dangerous...
      Fact... the world has ALWAYS been dangerous...
      Fact... the world will never be any safer...  because that's how the world works...

      FOLKS...  the world is a dangerous place... removing one little thing from your universe will not alter it in any meaningful way.  What we need to do is focus on is the big obvious "ITS GONNA' CUT YER HANDS OFF AND LAY WASTE TO YOUR ESTATES" problems...  the little ones are nice... they're interesting... they make great small talk at cocktail parties...  but ya' know... that killer asteroid that will inevitably hit earth some day ain't really on my radar screen.... and if Yellowstone: The Super Volcano goes off... well... I figure we're all pretty much screwed anyway.

      Teflon is an ant... do not be distracted by ants...  there are elephants loose.  If you take care of the elephants the ants will take care of themselves...

      95% of all resources are spent on the last 5% of benefit.

      No matter where ya' go... there ya' are...

      Obey your thirst...

      There's this fascinating little thing called the "Law if Unanticipated Consequences":

      Unintended consequences, or situations where the final outcome is unexpected, can be classed into roughly three groups:

      • positive, usually referred to as serendipity or a windfall
      • a source of problems, according to Murphy's law
      • definitively negative or a perverse effect, which is the opposite result to the one intended

      The Law of Unintended Consequences holds that almost all human actions have at least one unintended consequence. In other words, each cause has more than one effect, including unforeseen effects. The idea dates to the Scottish Enlightenment, which influenced people such as Thomas Jefferson.

      The Law of Unintended Consequences rules everything... it IS the unifying theory of all...

      ... so... ya'll just do your best.  With any luck we'll all survive until tomorrow...

      [HUMOR MODE: off]

      So... whattcha' think?  Is there any real potential for me to evolve to become Dennis Leary????

      Have nice and safe day...         Chas.

    • william kempin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
        am I confused, is the the woodworking site. how is teflon in any way
        related to woodworking. maybe we could get back to the subject.
        Will
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
        <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

        > [HUMOR MODE: on]
        >
        > Ya' know... the fun thing about the 'teflon pan' thing is that in
        the modern house... its probably the LOWEST source of any potential
        toxin that might be floating around...

        > For examp
      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2006
          Teflon shows up on some saw blades... saw blades get hot... could kill the shop canary...

          Not sure if that's it... but it sounds good...

          Chas.

          (Then again... 'teflon' is just a sacrificial anode in the topic of determination reasonable thresholds of concerns and data validation procedures when discussing technical issues.)