Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Danger Will Robinson....

  • paul
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
      I can understand why conecting a canary and a 500degree frying pan would
      kill the canary but I think the 500 degrees is overkill, just hitting it
      with the pan should work. Never mind I probably need to go to sleep now.

      Paul

      Jared wrote:

      >--
      > I recently learned, the teflon coating (in your frying pan), when
      >over heated (500degrees), gives off enough toxic fumes to kill a
      >canary on contact,

    • Dawn Perez
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
        My martini shaker isn't that big. Can we use just 4 parts herald?

        Albina, who thinks a dash of vermouth couldn't hurt.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
        <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

        > Ok... "TV" voice...
        >
        > Take five parts court herald. Add in one part begging male lover
        and one part Pennsic merchant. Add a dash of scolding parent and a
        pinch of bard. Shake well and serve slightly warmer than room
        temperature.

      • helen.schultz@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
          Jared...

          I have read this information as well, but you should know that the new electric frying pans with Teflon do not have a setting any higher than 400 degrees (I just bought one for my Dad about a week ago). Now, I don't know if you can get a frying pan up to 500 degrees on the stove, but at least the industry is aware of the problem with the electric ones <grin>.

          But, you are correct, it is always wise to know about potential problems so that said problems can be avoided (hopefully).

          Meisterin Katarina Helene von Schoenborn, OL
          (from sunny California for another 9 days)

          From: "Jared" <tudweber_jr@...>
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
            isn't 500 degrees a little hot for frying a
            canary? What is the smoke point of the oil you
            using? You'd probably get a small burnt tasting
            crunchy charcoal bit at that temperature, not to
            mention the smell of burning feathers....

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Iain Odlin
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
              From: "Jared" tudweber_jr@...
              > I recently learned, the teflon coating (in your frying pan), when
              >over heated (500degrees), gives off enough toxic fumes to kill a
              >canary on contact [...]
              > While Im not throwing away my fry pans, it does seem surprising that
              >this is an approved coating that everyone uses

              Common household hairspray will kill a canary, too.

              These things are 'approved' because a canary's reaction is -- rightly so
              --
              not the only measuring stick involved.

              -Iain of Malagentia,
              who notes that a canary can drown in a tablespoon of water
            • David Stous
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                I seem to remember from High School (granted, that was 2 decades ago) that it only takes 3 or 4 TBSP to drown a human!
                Dafydd of Verulanium
                Shire of Mountain Freehold
                East Kingdom
                mka
                ========
                David Stous
                Chief Maille Smith
                Wolf's Den Armoury
                www.wolfsdenarmoury.com
                  -Iain of Malagentia,
                   who notes that a canary can drown in a tablespoon of water
              • M Descoteau
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                  You're right, but most times that 3 or 4 TBSP has to
                  be in the lungs. <G>

                  Mike of the Hill
                  living in the
                  Kingdom of Trimaris

                  --- David Stous <david.stous@...> wrote:

                  > I seem to remember from High School (granted, that
                  > was 2 decades ago) that it only takes 3 or 4 TBSP to
                  > drown a human!
                  > Dafydd of Verulanium
                  > Shire of Mountain Freehold
                  > East Kingdom