Re: Danger Will Robinson....

  • Jared
    Message 1 of 21 , May 31 11:14 PM
      I recently learned, the teflon coating (in your frying pan), when
      over heated (500degrees), gives off enough toxic fumes to kill a
      canary on contact, this is documentable, canarys are especially
      effected by gases, and no person has died from teflon that I know of.
      While Im not throwing away my fry pans, it does seem surprising that
      this is an approved coating that everyone uses, I typically think of
      regulations on such things as being overly stringent.
      It especially puts a perspective on the previous concerns discusion
      on food safe finishes and how not to poison your friends.

      Not trying to feed the hysteria here, just back up what your saying,
      with the help of the media and peoples willingness to be paranoid,
      were probably freaking out over piddly stuff while ignoring more real
      dangers.
      Jared

      - In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer <avery1415@...>
      wrote:

      > >Therefore a more constructive tone as some had, of: "Please don't do
      > >this, it is extremely dangerous, and here is why" is much better than
      > >the reactionary tones of many....

    • paul
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
        I can understand why conecting a canary and a 500degree frying pan would
        kill the canary but I think the 500 degrees is overkill, just hitting it
        with the pan should work. Never mind I probably need to go to sleep now.

        Paul

        Jared wrote:

        >--
        > I recently learned, the teflon coating (in your frying pan), when
        >over heated (500degrees), gives off enough toxic fumes to kill a
        >canary on contact,

      • Dawn Perez
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
          My martini shaker isn't that big. Can we use just 4 parts herald?

          Albina, who thinks a dash of vermouth couldn't hurt.

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
          <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

          > Ok... "TV" voice...
          >
          > Take five parts court herald. Add in one part begging male lover
          and one part Pennsic merchant. Add a dash of scolding parent and a
          pinch of bard. Shake well and serve slightly warmer than room
          temperature.

        • helen.schultz@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
            Jared...

            I have read this information as well, but you should know that the new electric frying pans with Teflon do not have a setting any higher than 400 degrees (I just bought one for my Dad about a week ago). Now, I don't know if you can get a frying pan up to 500 degrees on the stove, but at least the industry is aware of the problem with the electric ones <grin>.

            But, you are correct, it is always wise to know about potential problems so that said problems can be avoided (hopefully).

            Meisterin Katarina Helene von Schoenborn, OL
            (from sunny California for another 9 days)

            From: "Jared" <tudweber_jr@...>
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
              isn't 500 degrees a little hot for frying a
              canary? What is the smoke point of the oil you
              using? You'd probably get a small burnt tasting
              crunchy charcoal bit at that temperature, not to
              mention the smell of burning feathers....

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Iain Odlin
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                From: "Jared" tudweber_jr@...
                > I recently learned, the teflon coating (in your frying pan), when
                >over heated (500degrees), gives off enough toxic fumes to kill a
                >canary on contact [...]
                > While Im not throwing away my fry pans, it does seem surprising that
                >this is an approved coating that everyone uses

                Common household hairspray will kill a canary, too.

                These things are 'approved' because a canary's reaction is -- rightly so
                --
                not the only measuring stick involved.

                -Iain of Malagentia,
                who notes that a canary can drown in a tablespoon of water
              • David Stous
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                  I seem to remember from High School (granted, that was 2 decades ago) that it only takes 3 or 4 TBSP to drown a human!
                  Dafydd of Verulanium
                  Shire of Mountain Freehold
                  East Kingdom
                  mka
                  ========
                  David Stous
                  Chief Maille Smith
                  Wolf's Den Armoury
                  www.wolfsdenarmoury.com
                    -Iain of Malagentia,
                     who notes that a canary can drown in a tablespoon of water
                • M Descoteau
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                    You're right, but most times that 3 or 4 TBSP has to
                    be in the lungs. <G>

                    Mike of the Hill
                    living in the
                    Kingdom of Trimaris

                    --- David Stous <david.stous@...> wrote:

                    > I seem to remember from High School (granted, that
                    > was 2 decades ago) that it only takes 3 or 4 TBSP to
                    > drown a human!
                    > Dafydd of Verulanium
                    > Shire of Mountain Freehold
                    > East Kingdom