boiled linseed oil

  • maf@gleichen.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2006
      Ok here is how I made my boiled oil for a chair I was making last fall.

      I have a baby crock pot originally intended for hot dips, it never gets hot enough to boil water, so it is perfect for this kind of stuff or for keeping hide glue hot.

      1) add about 2/3 measure of linseed oil to 1/3 measure of beeswax to the cool crock pot. Remember to remove all of the seed husks from the oil before you do this otherwise they are much harder to get out later (and the oil changes color)
      2)  Plug in the pot and then it will slowly melt the beeswax/ oil mixture. Stir every 10 minutes or so and it will slowly loose volume.
      3) every so often remove the scum off the top with a spoon or papertowel, the 1st batch made with home pressed flax had lots of scum because I didn't get the seeds out, the second have very little.
      4) after 4 or so hours it has reduced to the point of use.
      5) Apply in very thin coats to the wood, let sit 10 minutes and rub off the excess. repeat every couple of days. It takes about 2-3 days in our dry climate for the finish to not feel tacky.

      Comments
      a) if you really feel that you want to use linseed oil goto leevalley tools and get the food safe "tried and true" boiled linseed oil it takes less time to harden between coats and gives a slightly less yellowly color to the finish than my home made stuff. It's also very resonabley priced and has no solvents or heavy metals added.
      b) pressing seeds takes for ever, a local farmer gave me for a bucket full (one of those 5 gallon sized ones) of seed pods. It took weeks to hand extract the seeds from the pods and then another week to press them down ( i used a 20  ton hydraulic press). I ended up with about 1 cup of oil. I've been told you get more recovery with a 100 ton press but I only had a 20 ton and a make shift shaft system for pressing.
      c) making my own was a project and I'm glad I did it but I'll stick to store bough ones for now.

      Mark / Cered