Well, yes, shooting yourself in the head reduces your risks of dying of cancer and heart disease.

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2006
      >Buy a bunch of raw linseed (food grade, flax oil, etc), drop it in a
      >pot, and boil away until it reduces some (don't look at me has to how
      >much how long, just guessing)
      >
      >You will now have boiled linseed ... that is truly boiled, and nothing
      >added, and it will dry and harden, and yet be safe.

      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO!!!

      If you tried to paddle a rowboat from the Americas to Europe you would
      not have to worry about the dangers of an airplane crash. You would
      not be safe.

      I wasn't going to get pushy with this. I understand that there is a
      strong level of chemical-phobia in our society. But we have now
      reached a point where people are talking about doing something I
      consider maybe two or three steps shy of suicidal to avoid a couple
      milligrams of some not particularly hazardous metals that are probably
      deliberately added to their breakfast cereals.

      There may be one or two people on this list that are equipped to boil
      there own linseed oil safely. The rest of us will be taking a chance
      at a free ride to the burn ward for an all expenses paid skin graft!
      (Except they'll charge you a lot for these services. You will get to
      keep the complimentary disfiguration.) I'm not sure how much of a
      chance, but having seen the inside of a burn ward before, I'm not eager
      to run the experiment.

      If my only other option was boiling my own oil, I'd just go with
      lead/tin pewter feast gear. No, really.

      Avery