Re: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 1025

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2006
      >I remember the statements as saying "at least a month" for all the
      >heavy metals to get sealed inside the finish so they couldn't be
      >consumed in general...

      Actually that's for all the solvents to evaporate. The "heavy metals"
      are still leachable, though, again, the ones listed as commonly used
      are generally considered to be essential trace elements or have very
      low toxicities. The only one I've ever heard of causing poisoning is
      zinc, and then, only in the case of people welding galvanized steel.
      My multi-vitamin contains 15 mgs of the stuff.

      Avery