Greetings from the new guy!

  • pdm68wa
    Message 1 of 18 , May 19, 2006
      Hello, I am Alexandros Khristodoulopoulos of AN-TIR.
      I joined this group in hopes of finding fine craftsmen and artisians.
      Which I am very pleased that I have found. I was hoping to find plans
      for a cart much like the one Malcolmhawk has made. Please let me know
      if this is possible. Id be willing to pay for the plans. Thanks to all
      and have a great day!
    • pdm68wa
        Message 3 of 18 , May 20, 2006
          ---
          Avery did a great job explaining the construction of his cart, with
          great photos, I think you can still veiw it by going to atlantia arts
          and sciences pages, and looking under woodworking-wheeled vehicles.

          In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "pdm68wa" <pdm68wa@...> wrote:

          > Hello, I am Alexandros Khristodoulopoulos of AN-TIR.
          > I joined this group in hopes of finding fine craftsmen and artisians.
          > Which I am very pleased that I have found. I was hoping to find plans
          > for a cart much like the one Malcolmhawk has made. Please let me know
          > if this is possible. Id be willing to pay for the plans. Thanks to all
          > and have a great day!

        • Jared
          Message 4 of 18 , May 20, 2006
            --Nope, guess that links gone, but its still up on this site

            http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com
            indexed under carts, cart pennsic
            they have a ton of other plans as well, many from sca craftsman
            Jared

            - In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jared" <tudweber_jr@...> wrote:

            > ---
            > Avery did a great job explaining the construction of his cart, with
            > great photos, I think you can still veiw it by going to atlantia arts
            > and sciences pages, and looking under woodworking-wheeled vehicles.
            >

            > In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "pdm68wa" <pdm68wa@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello, I am Alexandros Khristodoulopoulos of AN-TIR.
            > > I joined this group in hopes of finding fine craftsmen and artisians.
            > > Which I am very pleased that I have found. I was hoping to find plans
            > > for a cart much like the one Malcolmhawk has made. Please let me know
            > > if this is possible. Id be willing to pay for the plans. Thanks to
            all
            > > and have a great day!

          • Ralph Lindberg
            Message 5 of 18 , May 22, 2006
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "pdm68wa" <pdm68wa@...> wrote:

              > Hello, I am Alexandros Khristodoulopoulos of AN-TIR.
              > I joined this group in hopes of finding fine craftsmen and artisians.
              > Which I am very pleased that I have found. I was hoping to find plans
              > for a cart much like the one Malcolmhawk has made.

              Alexandro's

              Did you make May Crown? I rather liked the one Sir Ataias was using,
              didn't ask him about it though, since I rolled my own years ago
              (including buying some well made wheels). Of course I've need to fix
              it since some of the dowels broke three years ago....

              TTFN
              Ralg
              AnTir (Dragons Laire actually)
            • pdm68wa
              Message 6 of 18 , May 22, 2006
                ---

                Hello Ralg,
                No I did not attend crown due to the fact I was to burned out after
                40yr, way to much beer and not enough fighting oh well my bad. Does
                anyone know how to get ahold of this knight? would love to get some
                plans I know I could wing it I just don't want to spend all my extra
                time making calculations and tweeking it to my liking. Thanks though
                for the info will have to keep an eye out for him know thanks for
                your reply....

                Message 7 of 18 , May 24, 2006
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "pdm68wa" <pdm68wa@...> wrote:
                  > Hello Ralg,
                  > No I did not attend crown due to the fact I was to burned out after
                  > 40yr, way to much beer and not enough fighting oh well my bad. Does
                  > anyone know how to get ahold of this knight?

                  He lives in 3M. He wasn't the only one at May Crown with a nice cart
                  though

                  Come to July Coronation, I bet there will be a couple there, heck, I
                  could be talked into bringing mine up just to show it off (give me a
                  reason to fix it besides)

                  TTFN
                  Ralg
                  AnTir
                • pdm68wa
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 29, 2006
                    ---BECAUSE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE WHAT A FINE CRAFTSMAN YOU ARE AND I
                    WOULD SURELY BUY YOU AN ADULT BEVERAGE OF YOUR CHOICE!
                    wrote:

                    > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "pdm68wa" <pdm68wa@> wrote:
                    > > Hello Ralg,
                    > > No I did not attend crown due to the fact I was to burned out
                    after
                    > > 40yr, way to much beer and not enough fighting oh well my bad.
                    Does
                    > > anyone know how to get ahold of this knight?
                    >
                    > He lives in 3M. He wasn't the only one at May Crown with a nice
                    cart
                    > though
                    >
                    > Come to July Coronation, I bet there will be a couple there,
                    heck, I
                    > could be talked into bringing mine up just to show it off (give me a
                    > reason to fix it besides)
                    >
                    > TTFN
                    > Ralg
                    > AnTir

                  • Ralph Lindberg
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 4, 2006
                      Alexandros, at June Fair yesterday I saw at least three different
                      carts, all looked great.

                      (side note Matush's bucket coopering demo was well received)

                      TTFN
                      Ralg
                      AnTir
                    • Dan Baker
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 4, 2006
                        Actually thats site is down.  Master Avery and I did a class at pennsic one year on cart building, his plans and my breakdown version are available on my site.

                        http://www.noonelike.us/~rhys/

                        -Rhys

                        On 5/20/06, Jared <tudweber_jr@...> wrote:
                        ---
                          Avery did a great job explaining the construction of his cart, with
                        great photos, I think you can still veiw it by going to atlantia arts
                        and sciences pages, and looking under woodworking-wheeled vehicles.

                        In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "pdm68wa" <pdm68wa@...> wrote:

                        >    Hello, I am Alexandros Khristodoulopoulos of AN-TIR.
                        > I joined this group in hopes of finding fine craftsmen and artisians.
                        > Which I am very pleased that I have found. I was hoping to find plans
                        > for a cart much like the one Malcolmhawk has made. Please let me know
                        > if this is possible. Id be willing to pay for the plans. Thanks to all
                        > and have a great day!

                        Everything you need is oneclick away. Make Yahoo! your home pagenow.
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/LmiolB/TM

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        --
                        ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                      • Jared
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 4, 2006
                          --- Following that post, and the later tremendous advice about links,
                          I posted the link on our links list! (should have done that in the
                          first place) for Averys pennsic cart. The former sites are indeed
                          down, but it is cached at another site where it can be viewed.
                          Jared

                          In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <LordRhys@...> wrote:

                          > Actually thats site is down. Master Avery and I did a class at
                          pennsic one year on cart building, his plans and my breakdown version
                          are available on
                          > my site.
                          >
                          > http://www.noonelike.us/~rhys/
                          >
                          > -Rhys
                          >
                          > On 5/20/06, Jared <tudweber_jr@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > ---
                          > > Avery did a great job explaining the construction of his cart, with
                          > > great photos, I think you can still veiw it by going to atlantia arts
                          > > and sciences pages, and looking under woodworking-wheeled vehicles.
                          > >

                          > > In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "pdm68wa" <pdm68wa@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hello, I am Alexandros Khristodoulopoulos of AN-TIR.
                          > > > I joined this group in hopes of finding fine craftsmen and
                          artisians.
                          > > > Which I am very pleased that I have found. I was hoping to find
                          plans
                          > > > for a cart much like the one Malcolmhawk has made. Please let me
                          know
                          > > > if this is possible. Id be willing to pay for the plans. Thanks
                          to all
                          > > > and have a great day!
                          > > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > --
                          > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>

                        • pdm68wa
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 8, 2006
                            ---Greetings Everyone,
                            Hey many thanks for all the links and replys. They are all appreciated
                            and I will soon be making a cart thanks to all your guys help, again
                            thank you!

                            In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Lindberg" <n7bsn@...> wrote:

                            > Alexandros, at June Fair yesterday I saw at least three different
                            > carts, all looked great.
                            >
                            > (side note Matush's bucket coopering demo was well received)
                            >
                            > TTFN
                            > Ralg
                            > AnTir

                          • Dan Baker
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 8, 2006
                              Cool, remember rule one..... We want to see pictures when your done!

                              -Rhys

                              --
                              ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                            • Thorolfr inn smithr
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 9, 2006
                                Cool. I also happen to be working on a cart. Its going to be very utilitarian, and use many modern compromises, but it will be my first attempt.

                                Here is where I have a couple of photos of it, as well as where I'll post more, as I make it.
                                http://tinyurl.com/q8fpk

                                As you can see, I have one wheel done and am in the process of thinking about how high up I am going to build the deck of the cart. Ignore the box under the deck. Its just there to support it while I think about things. The orange horizontal object is a four foot long level.

                                -Thorolfr inn smithr

                                pdm68wa wrote:
                                > ---Greetings Everyone,
                                > Hey many thanks for all the links and replys. They are all appreciated
                                > and I will soon be making a cart thanks to all your guys help, again
                                > thank you!
                                >
                                > In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:medievalsawdust%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ralph Lindberg" <n7bsn@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Alexandros, at June Fair yesterday I saw at least three different
                                > > carts, all looked great.
                                > >
                                > > (side note Matush's bucket coopering demo was well received)
                                > >
                                > > TTFN
                                > > Ralg
                                > > AnTir
                              • pdm68wa
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 12, 2006
                                  ---Bravo on those wheels Thorolfr! I pland to cheat and use plywood
                                  and then splint them with closet dowel to make them look more
                                  authentic......Thanks again to all who posted.

                                  In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Thorolfr inn smithr
                                  <thorolfr@...> wrote:

                                  > Cool. I also happen to be working on a cart. Its going to be very
                                  utilitarian, and use many modern compromises, but it will be my first
                                  attempt.

                                  > Here is where I have a couple of photos of it, as well as where
                                  I'll post more, as I make it.
                                  > http://tinyurl.com/q8fpk
                                  >
                                  > As you can see, I have one wheel done and am in the process of
                                  thinking about how high up I am going to build the deck of the cart.
                                  Ignore the box under the deck. Its just there to support it while I
                                  think about things. The orange horizontal object is a four foot long
                                  level.

                                  > -Thorolfr inn smithr
                                  >
                                  > pdm68wa wrote:
                                  > > ---Greetings Everyone,
                                  > > Hey many thanks for all the links and replys. They are all
                                  appreciated
                                  > > and I will soon be making a cart thanks to all your guys help,
                                  again
                                  > > thank you!
                                  > >
                                  > > In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > <mailto:medievalsawdust%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ralph Lindberg"
                                  <n7bsn@>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Alexandros, at June Fair yesterday I saw at least three
                                  different
                                  > > > carts, all looked great.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > (side note Matush's bucket coopering demo was well received)
                                  > > >
                                  > > > TTFN
                                  > > > Ralg
                                  > > > AnTir

                                • pdm68wa
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 12, 2006

                                    <thorolfr@...> wrote:

                                    > Cool. I also happen to be working on a cart. Its going to be very
                                    utilitarian, and use many modern compromises, but it will be my first
                                    attempt.

                                    > Here is where I have a couple of photos of it, as well as where
                                    I'll post more, as I make it.
                                    > http://tinyurl.com/q8fpk
                                    >
                                    > As you can see, I have one wheel done and am in the process of
                                    thinking about how high up I am going to build the deck of the cart.
                                    Ignore the box under the deck. Its just there to support it while I
                                    think about things. The orange horizontal object is a four foot long
                                    level.

                                    > -Thorolfr inn smithr
                                    >
                                    > pdm68wa wrote:
                                    > > ---Greetings Everyone,
                                    > > Hey many thanks for all the links and replys. They are all
                                    appreciated
                                    > > and I will soon be making a cart thanks to all your guys help,
                                    again
                                    > > thank you!
                                    > >
                                    > > In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                    > > <mailto:medievalsawdust%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ralph Lindberg"
                                    <n7bsn@>
                                    > > wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Alexandros, at June Fair yesterday I saw at least three
                                    different
                                    > > > carts, all looked great.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > (side note Matush's bucket coopering demo was well received)
                                    > > >
                                    > > > TTFN
                                    > > > Ralg
                                    > > > AnTir

                                  • Thorolfr inn smithr
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                                      I managed to get it assembled for an event this past weekend. I've added
                                      a photo of it at the event to my gallery.

                                      I learned a few things from making this cart.

                                      Wooden wheels should be banded, as this helps keep them together. I have
                                      to reglue one of my wheels and band both.

                                      Wheels which rotate independently of each other work better than wheels
                                      which are fixed to the axle.

                                      Although I didn't get to rounding the wheels, the twelve segmented
                                      wheels still rolled fairly well.

                                      A cart makes a very nice addition to a camps atmosphere.

                                      -Thorolfr

                                      Thorolfr inn smithr wrote:
                                      > Cool. I also happen to be working on a cart. Its going to be very
                                      > utilitarian, and use many modern compromises, but it will be my first
                                      > attempt.
                                      >
                                      > Here is where I have a couple of photos of it, as well as where I'll
                                      > post more, as I make it.
                                      > http://tinyurl.com/q8fpk <http://tinyurl.com/q8fpk>
                                      >
                                      > As you can see, I have one wheel done and am in the process of thinking
                                      > about how high up I am going to build the deck of the cart. Ignore the
                                      > box under the deck. Its just there to support it while I think about
                                      > things. The orange horizontal object is a four foot long level.
                                      >
                                      > -Thorolfr inn smithr
                                    • Thorolfr inn smithr
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 3, 2006
                                        Thorolfr inn smithr wrote:
                                        > I managed to get it assembled for an event this past weekend. I've added
                                        > a photo of it at the event to my gallery.
                                        >
                                        > I learned a few things from making this cart.
                                        >
                                        > Wooden wheels should be banded, as this helps keep them together. I have
                                        > to reglue one of my wheels and band both.
                                        >
                                        > Wheels which rotate independently of each other work better than wheels
                                        > which are fixed to the axle.
                                        >
                                        > Although I didn't get to rounding the wheels, the twelve segmented
                                        > wheels still rolled fairly well.
                                        >
                                        > A cart makes a very nice addition to a camps atmosphere.
                                        >
                                        > -Thorolfr

                                        So, I was able to correct a couple of issues for an event this past weekend. I rounded the wheels and banded them using pipe hangar strap steel which made it work ever so much better. I hadn't gotten around to dealing with the issue of the wheels turning independently of each other and as a result I have to rebuild my wheels.

                                        Here is my cart with me taking a couple of people for a spin. Sorry about the slightly blurry photo.
                                        http://tinyurl.com/zahk8

                                        Here is my cart after an enthusiastic young lad took a pelican for a spin. Apparently he tried to take a corner too quickly and since the wheels didn't turn independently, the hub on one wheel was torn apart. Fortunately the rider was uninjured.
                                        http://tinyurl.com/l6bw3

                                        Even a broken cart adds nicely to an encampments atmosphere.

                                        As Wile E. Coyote says... "Well, back to the ol' drawing board"

                                        -Thorolfr