Re: [MedievalSawdust] RE: Drilling straight holes for an A-Frame

  • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
    Message 1 of 14 , May 15, 2006
      On Mon, May 15, 2006 13:02, John LaTorre said:
      > Tony B. wrote:
      >
      >> Now the problem. The ridge pole is going to be 10 or 12 feet long
      >> and i need to drill a straight hole into the end of it for the
      >> dowel. Unfortunately, the beam is too long to put underneath a
      >> drill press, so i need to rig up a way to make a straight hole with
      >> a hand held drill.
      >
      > Haraldr mentioned using a hand augur. If he means a brace and Scotch-type
      > bit, I've found that they generally suck when you're trying to drill into
      > end grain.

      There are different types of auger bits for different purposes. Some are
      designed for softwoods and some for hardwoods. I'd have to double check
      which would be best for end grain into a softwood. However, no matter what
      the purpose, they always work way better when sharp.

      I've used speedbores in the past, but generally was unimpressed with how
      much they tended to chew up the sides of the hole. The speedbores with the
      end spurs tended to be better. Even with a jig, I'd still be sure to sight
      down the shaft and ensure that I wasn't torquing the bit and drifting. The
      jig could be setup with a registration line(s) to sight along and might be
      good as an angle bracket to register against two faces of the pole, unless
      that was what you were saying in which case I might have missed it or
      misunderstood.

      I also have some brad point bits in huge sizes, specifically for dowels
      and such that I've used when needed. A similar jig would work for them.

      Another option is to use a round tenon cutter but that requires first
      squaring the end of the board and is a bit limited in possible length,
      depending on style of cutter. As the subject was pine 2x4, I didn't
      suggest using a drawknife and spoke shave to make the ends, but with a
      better grade of wood it is certainly a possibility.

      It does seem that all of the advice is similar, use something to show or
      force the bit to be perpendicular to the end of the pole and make an
      appropriate hole. Any of them will work, some better than others depending
      on the available equipment the woodworker has available.

      Haraldr

      --
      Dave Calafrancesco

      ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!
    • Hall, Hayward
      Message 2 of 14 , May 16, 2006
        After looking at many designs, most of which are difficult to construct and subject to breaking, I've had good luck for several years with just lashing the ridge pole to the A frame with rope.  It's flexible enough not to break if slightly stressed and there are no special tools required for construction or maintenance. The arms of the A overlap slightly creating a Y to set the ridge pole into.  Have a small notch in the ridge pole to secure the lashing.

        Guillaume

        Message 3 of 14 , May 16, 2006
          Thanks to everyone who has responded with advice. I'll be absorbing
          it all and making some attempts over the weekend. I'll let you know
          how it goes.

          Thanks again,

          Tony B.

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Hayward" <hallh@...>
          wrote:

          > After looking at many designs, most of which are difficult to
          construct
          > and subject to breaking, I've had good luck for several years with
          just
          > lashing the ridge pole to the A frame with rope. It's flexible
          enough
          > not to break if slightly stressed and there are no special tools
          > required for construction or maintenance. The arms of the A overlap
          > slightly creating a Y to set the ridge pole into. Have a small
          notch in
          > the ridge pole to secure the lashing.
          >
          > Guillaume
          >
          > ________________________________

          t=ms&k=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w1

          =Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournam
          ent
          > &c=2&s=79&.sig=c7SkmNTkV-TglPCmup7cOA> Medieval time dinner
          and
          > tournament
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tournament

          &w1=Medieval+and+renaissance+costume&w2=Medieval+time+dinner+and+tour
          nam
          > ent&c=2&s=79&.sig=zNdfqLV2oyfXCdr6oOi6Sw>

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          > ________________________________

        • Ian Alston
          Message 4 of 14 , May 16, 2006
            Sorry to come late to the fray but...

            I recently put together our A-frame, sized at 5m (16') a side on the A-frame
            (which makes it about 4.4m (14') high in the middle) and 6m (20') long. For
            the ridge pole and side poles I used laminated 3x3's I made from packing
            case pine.

            For the connection to the A frame I went the other way and made a ferrule to
            go around the ridge pole, out of square-section steel, and stuck a spigot on
            the end of it.

            The 3x3's more than happily took the 40knot winds that showed up at The
            Rowany Festival this year.

            My theory was that any hole in the pole would reduce it strength massively,
            so whacking a collar/ferrule around it could only be a good thing.

            Cheers,
            Arnfinr
            Ynys Fawr, Lochac

            wrote:

            > After looking at many designs, most of which are difficult to
            construct
            > and subject to breaking, I've had good luck for several years with
            just
            > lashing the ridge pole to the A frame with rope. It's flexible
            enough
            > not to break if slightly stressed and there are no special tools
            > required for construction or maintenance. The arms of the A overlap
            > slightly creating a Y to set the ridge pole into. Have a small
            notch in
            > the ridge pole to secure the lashing.
            >
            > Guillaume
            >
            > ________________________________

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify PaperlinX immediately. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of PaperlinX.
          • Kip Lytle
            Message 5 of 14 , May 17, 2006
              One last bit of advice:
              Lee Valley Tools sells an attachment for your hand drill that turns it into
              a protable drill press. Check this URL:
              http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=42322&cat=1,180,42311,42321&ap=1

              Caen MacAddis

              Message 6 of 14 , May 17, 2006
                Kip Lytle wrote:
                > One last bit of advice:
                > Lee Valley Tools sells an attachment for your hand drill that turns it into
                > a protable drill press. Check this URL:
                > http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=42322&cat=1,180,42311,42321&ap=1

                I have one of those, purchased at the US store Rockler.

                It is "OK". Especially useful for drilling sideways through dowels.
                Would not be too "great" at drilling endways through dowels, although
                I have attached some 1x6 to the base and used it exactly for that
                purpose.

                Tibor
              • Anthony Bayer
                Message 7 of 14 , May 22, 2006
                  Hi all. In the end, I found a similar portable drill presses at
                  Home Depot. Identical to the one Caen linked to. For $30 it works
                  really really well. Being careful, I had no problems drilling the
                  holes into the end of the 2x4s. Now I just need to build it at full
                  size.

                  Oh yeah, I've also decided to go with a T beam for the ridge pole
                  for a little extra strength. I think the only other thing I need to
                  consider is using a metal pipe instead of a wood dowel. Not very
                  period, I know, but it would probably remove the last of my worries
                  about the strength of the ridge pole.

                  Tony B.

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Kip Lytle" <macaddis@...>
                  wrote:

                  > One last bit of advice:
                  > Lee Valley Tools sells an attachment for your hand drill that
                  turns it into
                  > a protable drill press. Check this URL:
                  > http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?
                  c=2&p=42322&cat=1,180,42311,42321&ap=1