Wooden drinking vessels

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 51 , May 10, 2006
      Greetings to the list!

      Does anyone here know of any documentation for wooden drinking
      vessels, shaped like modern glass tumblers (tall and narrow, same
      dimentions top to bottom) in which the bottom is a separate piece?

      I realize these would usually have been nade on a lathe, using a
      chisel to carve out the inside, and the bottom would have been
      integral.

      I've seen horn vessels made that way, just wondering about wood.

      Thanks, Gillian Durham
    • msgilliandurham
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 21, 2006
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Rettie" <tom@...> wrote:

        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "msgilliandurham"
        <msgilliandurham@>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > The reason I asked it that I'd always visialized leather hinges as
        > > being two long straps, like metal hinges.
        >
        > Here's a pictures that illustrates the other approach I was trying
        to describe:

        > http://www.his.com/~tom/Images/leatherhinge.jpg
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Tom R.
        > Blood and Sawdust
        > http://www.his.com/tom/index.html

        Great, thanks -- is this usage also conjectural, or can I tell my
        students "we know at least *somebody* did it this way, because
        there's this existing chest in this castle...."?

        Thanks for all your assistance --
        Gillian Durham