Re: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 1007

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2006
      Hey Corin!!!

      This is interestin'...

      Yea... I've been digging to see what I could find with regard to 'crew accomodations'...  best I've been able to determine at this point is that hammocks are a South American invention that was one of those things that Columbus fellow 'discovered'...

      Oviedo  came to America in 1514 and spent the next 30 years documenting the goods, products, etc. of the natives.... In 1535 he illustrated the "hamaca".   "The indians sleep in a bed they call an 'hamaca' which looks like a piece of cloth with both an open and tight weave, like a net ... made of cotton ... about 2.5 or 3 yards long, with many henequen twine strings at either end which can be hung at any height. They are good beds, and clean ... and since the weather is warm they require no covers at all ... and they are portable so a child can carry it over the arm. "

      The article later goes on to say, "The hammock was perfected in the Caribbean and Brazil and was first introduced to Europeans during Columbus' first voyage of 1492."

      So...  LATE 1400's/early 1500's is the absolute earliest they could have been used on ships...

      Now, I haven't found any accounts yet of how the crew DID quarter themselves...  but... we'er workin' on that...