Re: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 1007

  • Arthur Kathan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2006
      Greetings All,
      (Hi Charles)
      I am currently reading an excellent book on the British Navy,
      "To Rule The Waves" by Arthur Herman, which goes back to
      before the actual Royal navy. So how far back do we want to
      go? Just slightly pre-1600 we have Drake leaving on 9/14/1585,
      and arriving at Santo Domingo on 1/1/1586 via what is referred
      to as "the by-now-familiar route to the Indies". Though Drake
      and his crew were hardly common sailors. But this does say
      something about times and distances. On the other hand, fisherman
      had been working the Grand Banks since the early 1500's. Also,
      comments such as "By 1588 English sailors were making regular runs
      to America, Russia, Asia, around the Cape of Africa, and above the
      Arctic circle."

      Regarding the numbers aboard, there is a description of the Spanish
      Armada, hardly a typical voyage, mainly a means of transporting
      great quantities of men across the channel to invade Britain. Over
      130 ships and 30,000 men. The ships varying in size from 20
      galleons to merchantmen. By comparison, the Golden Hind
      (built about 1574) was 150-ton, 70-feet long, 19-feet wide and
      carried 80-85 men.

      This should be enough data for someone to engage in interesting
      speculation.
      --Corin

      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2006
        Hey Corin!!!

        This is interestin'...

        Yea... I've been digging to see what I could find with regard to 'crew accomodations'...  best I've been able to determine at this point is that hammocks are a South American invention that was one of those things that Columbus fellow 'discovered'...

        Oviedo  came to America in 1514 and spent the next 30 years documenting the goods, products, etc. of the natives.... In 1535 he illustrated the "hamaca".   "The indians sleep in a bed they call an 'hamaca' which looks like a piece of cloth with both an open and tight weave, like a net ... made of cotton ... about 2.5 or 3 yards long, with many henequen twine strings at either end which can be hung at any height. They are good beds, and clean ... and since the weather is warm they require no covers at all ... and they are portable so a child can carry it over the arm. "

        The article later goes on to say, "The hammock was perfected in the Caribbean and Brazil and was first introduced to Europeans during Columbus' first voyage of 1492."

        So...  LATE 1400's/early 1500's is the absolute earliest they could have been used on ships...

        Now, I haven't found any accounts yet of how the crew DID quarter themselves...  but... we'er workin' on that...