RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Shipboard Conditions

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2006
      And hammocks are a Caribbean island invention that predates Columbus, so you
      have to figure... Columbus or his colleagues brings back to the Old World a
      novel way of sleeping.... but sailors can be conservative people, so it will
      take a little time before the new THING is adopted. Then the innovation has
      to overcome nationalistic prejudice before it is (perhaps) adopted from the
      Spaniards and Portuguese by the British... So the Mary Rose is a little
      early to see hammock hooks on and English ship. Give them a little more
      time. 17th Century, then, makes some sense.