Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Shipboard Conditions

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2006
      >> OK, there is an exception, the DD-21 (DD-X) program of the US
      Navy,
      which reduces the crew of a Destroyer from 200 to 300 to (about) 95.
      First US warship, where the plan is each crewmen will have a (private)
      room! <<

      Oh SURE...  NOW they get around to that...

      Chas. "OLD... (like... not quite back to Noah)... Navy" Oakley
      (Who... come to think of it... never set foot on a ship until two years after he got OUT of the Navy...  Winking smiley emoticon , huh... go figure...)

    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2006
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
        <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

        > Oh SURE... NOW they get around to that...
        >

        > Chas. "OLD... (like... not quite back to Noah)... Navy" Oakley
        > (Who... come to think of it... never set foot on a ship until two
        years after he got OUT of the Navy... , huh... go figure...)

        Almost sounds like my ol' man-at-arms, he spent 6 years in and the
        only time he was on a ship of a tour of a Boomer. Of course he
        -almost- ended up with a tour on the Mercy, for Gulf-War-One.

        My dear wife, Dame Ellen, gets a big kick of the fact that I make my
        living on ships, but would never own one, and wouldn't miss them for a
        moment.

        Ralg (who got interrupted typing this with his third call of the
        evening, where the caller-id said "US Navy")
        AnTir
      • C N Schwartz
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2006
          And hammocks are a Caribbean island invention that predates Columbus, so you
          have to figure... Columbus or his colleagues brings back to the Old World a
          novel way of sleeping.... but sailors can be conservative people, so it will
          take a little time before the new THING is adopted. Then the innovation has
          to overcome nationalistic prejudice before it is (perhaps) adopted from the
          Spaniards and Portuguese by the British... So the Mary Rose is a little
          early to see hammock hooks on and English ship. Give them a little more
          time. 17th Century, then, makes some sense.