Re: Shipboard Conditions

  • Ralph Lindberg
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2006
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...>
      wrote:

      > Hmmmm, bed doubling as your coffin. Is this maybe where the phrase
      about Davey Jones's locker comes from?

      Actually the hammocks were used as coffins also. You were wrapped in
      your hammock, it was weighted and "over the side".

      > As far as everyone having a bed, couldn't they have half as many
      beds thereby saving room. The men would sleep in shifts/duty
      sections.

      ...em hot racking, bad, very bad. Last time they tried that on me I
      pointed out my position and that, by regulation, I couldn't be asked
      to hot-rack. Suddenly we had fewer "observers".

      As to the mention of ships crew size merchant vrs warship. From the
      day there was one of each, the crew sizes have been different. A
      merchant ship used as few people as possible, while a warship always
      carried extra "bodies". The examples of this can be seen in every era.

      OK, there is an exception, the DD-21 (DD-X) program of the US Navy,
      which reduces the crew of a Destroyer from 200 to 300 to (about) 95.
      First US warship, where the plan is each crewmen will have a (private)
      room!

      Ralg
      AnTir
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2006
        >> OK, there is an exception, the DD-21 (DD-X) program of the US
        Navy,
        which reduces the crew of a Destroyer from 200 to 300 to (about) 95.
        First US warship, where the plan is each crewmen will have a (private)
        room! <<

        Oh SURE...  NOW they get around to that...

        Chas. "OLD... (like... not quite back to Noah)... Navy" Oakley
        (Who... come to think of it... never set foot on a ship until two years after he got OUT of the Navy...  Winking smiley emoticon , huh... go figure...)

      • Ralph Lindberg
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2006
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
          <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

          > Oh SURE... NOW they get around to that...
          >

          > Chas. "OLD... (like... not quite back to Noah)... Navy" Oakley
          > (Who... come to think of it... never set foot on a ship until two
          years after he got OUT of the Navy... , huh... go figure...)

          Almost sounds like my ol' man-at-arms, he spent 6 years in and the
          only time he was on a ship of a tour of a Boomer. Of course he
          -almost- ended up with a tour on the Mercy, for Gulf-War-One.

          My dear wife, Dame Ellen, gets a big kick of the fact that I make my
          living on ships, but would never own one, and wouldn't miss them for a
          moment.

          Ralg (who got interrupted typing this with his third call of the
          evening, where the caller-id said "US Navy")
          AnTir
        • C N Schwartz
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2006
            And hammocks are a Caribbean island invention that predates Columbus, so you
            have to figure... Columbus or his colleagues brings back to the Old World a
            novel way of sleeping.... but sailors can be conservative people, so it will
            take a little time before the new THING is adopted. Then the innovation has
            to overcome nationalistic prejudice before it is (perhaps) adopted from the
            Spaniards and Portuguese by the British... So the Mary Rose is a little
            early to see hammock hooks on and English ship. Give them a little more
            time. 17th Century, then, makes some sense.

            > Hmmmm, bed doubling as your coffin. Is this maybe where the phrase
            about Davey Jones's locker comes from?

            Actually the hammocks were used as coffins also. You were wrapped in
            your hammock, it was weighted and "over the side".

            > As far as everyone having a bed, couldn't they have half as many
            beds thereby saving room. The men would sleep in shifts/duty
            sections.

            ...em hot racking, bad, very bad. Last time they tried that on me I
            pointed out my position and that, by regulation, I couldn't be asked
            to hot-rack. Suddenly we had fewer "observers".

            As to the mention of ships crew size merchant vrs warship. From the
            day there was one of each, the crew sizes have been different. A
            merchant ship used as few people as possible, while a warship always
            carried extra "bodies". The examples of this can be seen in every era.

            OK, there is an exception, the DD-21 (DD-X) program of the US Navy,
            which reduces the crew of a Destroyer from 200 to 300 to (about) 95.
            First US warship, where the plan is each crewmen will have a (private)
            room!

            Ralg
            AnTir

            Yahoo! Groups Links