Re: [MedievalSawdust] Rope Bed

  • chris roberts
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2006
      Thanks, I will check that out.

      Chris

      --- "Bruce S. R. Lee" <bsrlee2@...> wrote:

      > I am slowly working my way thru' "Before the Mast"
      > (ISBN
      > 0-9544029-4-4), which has most of the wood, cloth &
      > wicker items from
      > the Mary Rose included in it. The various writers
      > are pretty clear
      > that there is NO evidence for the use of hammocks at
      > all in the ship
      > - no fittings in the ship to hang them and so sign
      > of any hammock
      > parts like hooks & rings.
      >
      > However, in the section dealing with wicker items
      > there is an object
      > which the 'experts' seem to be unable to identify -
      > item 82A5098 -
      > which is rectangular, flat bottomed and 5ft x 2ft
      > 4in (1.52m x 0.71m)
      > in size. The sides are 'irregular' in height, with
      > one side much
      > lower than the ends and opposite side. To me it
      > looks like a very
      > large 'dog basket'. I'll go out on a limb here and
      > say that I am of
      > the opinion that it is the remains of someone's bed
      > - it was found on
      > the orlop deck below the 'carpenter's cabin' with a
      > type 2 and type 3
      > chest (the better quality ones, the type 2 chest was
      > dovetailed &
      > type 3 chests have legs).
      >
      > regards
      > Brusi of ORkney
      > Rowany/Lochac
      > Sydney/Australia
      >
      > At 10:51 AM 1/05/2006, you wrote:
      > >I am part of the crew for the Elizabeth II a
      > reproduction 16th century
      > >(1585) sailing ship. We have a voyage in the near
      > future and I wish
      > >to elevate myself off the deck a bit. I was
      > thinking that a rope bed
      > >would be a good way to go for transport on and off
      > the ship. I am
      > >looking for something that would pass for period so
      > that it can stay
      > >on the ship while at port with school tours.
      > >
      > >Thanks,
      > >
      > >Chris

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2006
        Chris...

        Shipboard life is something that gets my interest rising... but isn't something I"ve really studied much.  You've mentiond that there isn't extant evidence of hammocks...  but what would be 'reasonable crew sizes' and what, if any evidence other than the on reed pad, does the archeological/historic record show the brought on board other than, perhaps, a sea chest or sea bag?  (I'm ex-Navy and I've always been a bit fascinated by Naval History in various forms...)

        What kind of quarters were crew normally afforded and how much 'personal gear' did they bring on board?  Did accomodation vary depending on the function of the ship?

        Do you have some suggested sources that would be a good place (beyond the Mary Rose books) to start mining for info on this topic...

        Thanks -  Chas.
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2006
          everytime I have heard any details about the number of
          crew it took for a 'ship of the line' and the numbers
          of crew and passengers that were crammed onto the
          ships that laned at Jamestown it has AMAZED me how
          many people were on the ships.

          Is that a later develpoment from the Elizabethian
          sailing ships? Did ships at that time have smaller
          crews? 'Cause if they had to have framed beds for all
          those people there would not have been room to put the
          people on once the beds were loaded....

          http://mail.yahoo.com