Re: [MedievalSawdust] Wood choices

  • Bruce S. R. Lee
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 27, 2006
      The best way I know of to get something to spin true is to fit the
      bearings first, then mount it on the lathe using the bearings. Not
      knowing the shape & type of bearings on the wheel in question, I
      can't advise whether to leave any metal bearings in & use a 'dog' to
      spin the piece, or knock them out after drilling & fitting & use the
      regular centers then re-install the metal bits after turning to shape.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney
      Rowany/Lochac
      Sydney/Australia

      At 02:04 PM 28/04/2006, you wrote:
      >I have been getting boxes of cut offs from a (high end)cabinet
      >maker. Next week I will be finishing a bobbin to fit a Schack(sp)
      >Spinning wheel. And some peices are big enough to make a spinning
      >wheel. The real figured peices go to a pen maker friend.
      >
      >Question: What is the best way to turn a bobbin so that it spins
      >true on its bearings?
      >
      >James Cunningham
      >Novice turner
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 30, 2006
        I am making the bobbin not the axel! The axel will be 5/16 drill rod.

        James Cunningham