(Non-period tools) Finish/Brad Nailers

  • Bill Schongar (bschonga)
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2006
      For both house trim and some pre-pennsic camp projects, I'm planning on
      picking up a finish nailer and a brad nailer. So I figured I'd see if
      anyone had some they'd recommend for the
      not-as-serious-as-I'd-like-to-be woodworking crowd.

      Porter-Cable has a bundle of a finish nailer, brad nailer and basic
      compressor, and that's what I'm currently leaning towards.. I don't have
      any other air tools, or any plans currently to get any, so compressor
      capability isn't a big issue for me.

      Any recommendations?

      Thanks,

      -Liam
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2006
        I've got a Paslode finish nailer that I'm pretty happy with...  no cords... no compressors.  Of course, I use it in a less than industrial way... so it isn't getting over worked by any stretch...

        Chas.
      • Ralph Lindberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2006
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Schongar \(bschonga\)"
          <bschonga@...> wrote:

          > For both house trim and some pre-pennsic camp projects, I'm planning on
          > picking up a finish nailer and a brad nailer. So I figured I'd see if
          > anyone had some they'd recommend for the
          > not-as-serious-as-I'd-like-to-be woodworking crowd.
          >
          > Porter-Cable has a bundle of a finish nailer, brad nailer and basic
          > compressor, and that's what I'm currently leaning towards.. I don't have
          > any other air tools, or any plans currently to get any, so compressor
          > capability isn't a big issue for me.

          I have a PC Framer and a PC Roofer and love both. For light work I
          have a Woodtek brad and a Woodtek stapler. Can't say anything bad
          about them either. I doubt I could say anything bad aboug PC finish
          nailer/brad nailer either.

          Ralg
          AnTir
        • maf@gleichen.ca
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2006
            I have a pasload framing nailer, a finish nailer and a stapler and they are
            great for use anywhere you don't have access to power or an air compressor,
            they are more money and more expensive for the consumables but sometimes
            that cost outweights the no power needed feature.

            Mark

            >> For both house trim and some pre-pennsic camp projects, I'm planning on
            >> picking up a finish nailer and a brad nailer. So I figured I'd see if
            >> anyone had some they'd recommend for the
            >> not-as-serious-as-I'd-like-to-be woodworking crowd.
            >>
            >> Porter-Cable has a bundle of a finish nailer, brad nailer and basic
            >> compressor, and that's what I'm currently leaning towards.. I don't have
            >> any other air tools, or any plans currently to get any, so compressor
            >> capability isn't a big issue for me.
            >>
            > I have a PC Framer and a PC Roofer and love both. For light work I
            > have a Woodtek brad and a Woodtek stapler. Can't say anything bad
            > about them either. I doubt I could say anything bad aboug PC finish
            > nailer/brad nailer either.
            >
            > Ralg
            > AnTir
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Bill Schongar (bschonga)
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2006
              Thanks for the responses, both on- and off-list.

              I ended up buying a Porter-Cable bundle - finish nailer, brad nailer,
              stapler and compressor - and installed about 35 feet of trim the first
              evening. Ahh, power tools.

              And now back to my hand planes and braces.

              Thanks,

              -Liam

            • Siegfried
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 11, 2006
                I realize that I am too late in responding, as the purchase has been
                made; However I will add for future reference:

                I have a finish nailer from Grizzly that I absolutely love.

                I then also have a Brad Nailer from Harborfreight, Cost me like $10 on
                sale. And the thing is a workhorse, I use it on all kinds of 'quick
                through this together' projects and never once had a problem with it.

                I also have a framing nailer from Harborfreight. Only cost $99 on
                sale. Dirt cheap for a full head framing nailer. Well, the thing
                double-fires once every 50 nails or so, and jams once every 200. But
                you know what? I completely rebuild my deck (huge deck, 3 sides of my
                house) with that thing. And it worked. For $99. Would I rely on it
                to build houses with on a day-in day-out basis? Heck no. But for a
                hobbyist 'I want this to do some basic framing work around the house',
                you can't beat it for $99

                Siegfried