Amish Craftsmanship

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7 8:32 AM
      > Please dont get me wrong, they are good people and good neighbors,
      > I have nothing against them, but it just bugs me the way the tourist
      > market around here pays extra for "Amish craftmanship".
      >
      >Good craftsmanship, but not exactly "old world"...

      Most people know just enough about good craftsmanship to know that the
      stuff that they buy at Wal-Mart doesn't contain much of it. Specifics
      are going to be lost on them. (IE - They may know that dovetails are a
      hallmark of quality jointery. It would never occur to them that
      cutting the pins in the side of a drawer and the tails in the front is
      not right.)

      Meanwhile, the Amish tend to have an attitued that, if a job is worth
      doing, it's worth doing right. That they (and their attitude) have
      become a defacto brand is not too surprising.

      As you say, I'm perfectly willing to bet that most dedicated,
      experienced amateurs could produce work equal that produced in an Amish
      cabinet shop. The thing is, it's easier to fake being a dedicated,
      experienced amateur than it is to fake being Amish.

      Avery
    • kjworz@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7 9:51 AM
        My father-in-law bought an amish set. His reason was it was a relatively cheap, all solid wood, well made, dining room suite in a style he liked (semi colonial). You could not get an equivalent quality set at a lower price in 1993. Reason enough.

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        From: Avery Austringer <avery1415@...>