Re: Board feet

  • Jared
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
      --The worst thing about green oak is its real heavy, but it will cut a
      bit easier under your chisel when its green. My dairy barn was timber
      framed with green oak 100 years ago and its still standing. I have
      read many books on timber frame, in at least one, the builder used
      green oak to frame a house, his findings were basically just what I
      said, its heavy, but strong. You will want to get all your timbers
      framed into the structure before they dry out too much and start to
      warp. If not, at least stack them and maybe band the pile with plenty
      of stickers in between, to keep them as straight as you can till they
      get used. If you cut real mortise and tenons and peg them with dry
      dowels, you should have tight joints. One thing to remember, wood
      glue wont work at all, on green lumber, PL200 subfloor/construction
      adheasive, is rated to bond green treated lumber, and will work much
      better, if you intended to use any glues.
      Jared

      - In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Robb Schuster" <schusterrl@...>
      wrote:

      > Next question
      >
      > The local Amish can supply me with the wood i need
      >
      > Their prices are $0.15/board foot to cut logs we supply, and I believe
      > $0.50/ board foot for [oak] lumber he cuts from his supply.
      >

      > Now in period (Viking Age) i dont see initial settlements being
      > constructed of dried wood. I imagine the lumber for the first few
      > houses were cut on site.
      >
      > I admit I dont know alot about woods, is using green oak REAL BAD?
      > (Basically we are using timber framing methods)
      > Does oak shrink badly?
      >
      > Halv

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 6, 2006
        If the woodworkers that are supplying the wood will also be
        participating in the build, you should have nothing to worry about.
        They've probably got more experience working with the lumber that
        you're ordering than anyone else you could find in this country.
        Though your building may look different than their typical work, let
        them have free run on the techniques of the frame, they should be
        masters on this task compared to the combined experience from this
        board (no insult intended to anyone here).

        It sounds as if you've found a great opportunity for materials and
        expertise. Given the same chance, I'd start this project in a
        heartbeat.

        Eirikr Mjoksiglandi,
        Way out west...

        <schusterrl@...> wrote:

        > Next question
        >
        > The local Amish can supply me with the wood i need
        >
        > Their prices are $0.15/board foot to cut logs we supply, and I
        believe
        > $0.50/ board foot for [oak] lumber he cuts from his supply.
        >

        > Now in period (Viking Age) i dont see initial settlements being
        > constructed of dried wood. I imagine the lumber for the first few
        > houses were cut on site.
        >
        > I admit I dont know alot about woods, is using green oak REAL BAD?
        > (Basically we are using timber framing methods)
        > Does oak shrink badly?
        >
        > Halv

        --The current plan is to have the Amish not only cut the wood but
        also be part of construction as well, the local community is very
        involved in local house building:)

        Halv
      • Jared
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 6, 2006
          "If the woodworkers that are supplying the wood will also be
          participating in the build, you should have nothing to worry about.
          They've probably got more experience working with the lumber that
          you're ordering than anyone else you could find in this country.
          Though your building may look different than their typical work, let
          them have free run on the techniques of the frame, they should be
          masters on this task compared to the combined experience from this
          board (no insult intended to anyone here)."

          Not that I am any expert on timberframe, but my next door
          neighbors are amish, and of course build thier own houses with larg
          groups of men very quickly. But they use milled 2x4s just like the
          rest of us, they are currently doing a log cabin, that will be
          dissasembled and sent to georgia, (we're in wisconsin) Jonas (the
          elder) told me they had never built one before, amazing, that anyone
          would hire anyone else to build thier house, site unseen, and assume
          it would be done in a skilled manor just because they were amish. If
          you or I were to try to get that job, we would have to prove our
          expeirience very completly.
          Please dont get me wrong, they are good people and good neighbors,
          I have nothing against them, but it just bugs me the way the tourist
          market around here pays extra for "Amish craftmanship". Ive been in
          thier cabinet shops, they do good work, but no different than myself,
          they use exactly the same tools. A grizzly table saw, jointer and
          shaper and even pocket hole machines, (all run by a line shaft) and
          thay use pnuematic sanders. Good craftsmanship, but not exactly "old
          world".
          If any fellow scadiens do many projects with hand tools, you are
          probabably more authentic than even the most conservative amish in my
          area. (there are many different groups). Its not the Amish that
          bother me at all, its the ignorant view that others show about them.
          Certainly a higher percentage of them have knowledge in carpentry and
          cabnitry, than the rest of the general public, but To assume that all
          are born with the talent to be a craftsman, is no more intelligent
          than any other stereotype you can think of.

          I hope I have put this well enough to assure that that this is not
          a view of prejudice in any way, and I dont intend to offend anyone,
          just present a logical view on the topic.
          Jared
        • James Winkler
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 6, 2006

            >> I have nothing against them, but it just bugs me the way the
            tourist
            market around here pays extra for "Amish craftsmanship".  <<

            ... and therein lies the difference between 'real value' and perceived value.  As they said in Indy Jones... take a cheap watch, bury it in the sand for a few thousand years and it becomes priceless.  What's changed... only the 'perception of value/rarity/whatever pushes your personal psychological buttons' ...  most 'value' is in perception, hence the marketing tool of 'branding'...

            ... "What's in a name?" ... in a lot of cases... well...  'a lot'...

            ... and then there's the consumer perception of "collectable" vs. the merchandising perception of "collectable" (I.e., "we can build more of em' than you can buy... but we dare ya' to try to keep up")...  BUT THAT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT RANT...

            I share yer' pain Jared...

            Chas.
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 6, 2006
              Is James Cunningham an Amish name?
              buttons' ... "What's in a name?" ... in a lot of cases... well...  'a lot'...
            • James Winkler
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 6, 2006
                Might be... heck I'd be tempted to pay more for an original Cunningham... particularly if it was signed and numbered!!!!

                Winking smiley emoticon

                Chas.

                =================================

                Is James Cunningham an Amish name?
                buttons' ... "What's in a name?" .. in a lot of cases... well...  'a lot'...
              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 7, 2006
                  Jared <tudweber_jr@...> wrote:
                  "If the woodworkers that are supplying the wood will also beparticipating in the build, you should have nothing to worry about.MUCH SNIPPAGE
                      I hope I have put this well enough to assure that that this is nota view of prejudice in any way, and I dont intend to offend anyone,just present a logical view on the topic.

                  COMMENT
                  Jared,
                  that's a most interesting Post.

                  Do you think that the perception of "Amish quality" might have something to do with their Tenets - "All things done well for the Glory of God"? - and - "Not unto us the praise, but unto God, who hath guided our unworthy hands in His Work?"

                  Yours in Service,
                  Matthew
                  ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497:
                  Motto  - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War") ]
                  aka. - Julian Wilson,  - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald, Historian, & Master Artisan to
                  "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                  [the Island of "olde" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
                  Meet us at <  www.dukesleopards.org  >"
                  -

                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 7, 2006
                    Jared,

                    Your point is well taken. I did make the assumption that if they
                    were milling green oak for sale, that they would have done similar
                    milling before, and also assumed that thay would have used the
                    material for their own purposes before and would be familiar with
                    the appropriate techniques, not genetically imprinted, but gained
                    though acquired experience.

                    So, this is a good reminder to discuss people's experience with your
                    specific project in mind when considering getting help, paid or
                    not. One's perceived reputation or skill won't necessarily help
                    when deep in a project, past work and/or references are probably
                    more reliable.

                    Standing corrected from positive prejudice,
                    Eirikr

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jared" <tudweber_jr@...>
                    wrote:

                    > "If the woodworkers that are supplying the wood will also be
                    > participating in the build, you should have nothing to worry about.
                    > They've probably got more experience working with the lumber that
                    > you're ordering than anyone else you could find in this country.
                    > Though your building may look different than their typical work,
                    let
                    > them have free run on the techniques of the frame, they should be
                    > masters on this task compared to the combined experience from this
                    > board (no insult intended to anyone here)."
                    >

                    > Not that I am any expert on timberframe, but my next door
                    > neighbors are amish, and of course build thier own houses with larg
                    > groups of men very quickly. But they use milled 2x4s just like the
                    > rest of us,....
                    > Certainly a higher percentage of them have knowledge in carpentry
                    and
                    > cabnitry, than the rest of the general public, but To assume that
                    all
                    > are born with the talent to be a craftsman, is no more intelligent
                    > than any other stereotype you can think of.
                    >
                    > I hope I have put this well enough to assure that that this is
                    not
                    > a view of prejudice in any way, and I dont intend to offend anyone,
                    > just present a logical view on the topic.
                    > Jared

                  • Jared
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 8, 2006
                      I do not intend to ruffle any feathers, it is just that I have gained
                      a greater insight on the various amish beliefs in my area since I have
                      been suurounded by them. The ones next door to me are most
                      conservative, thay wont even use covered buggies, thay go down the
                      road when its below zero, holding an umbrella in front of them. They
                      follow many other stringent rules, but they do ride in other peoples
                      cars and come over to use my telephone, and like I said, use the same
                      tools in thier cabinet shop as I do. All powered by a line shaft with
                      a diesel engine at the end of the building. Another local sect is
                      much less conservative and I know many of them how drink coffee, smoke
                      or chew tobbacco, and converse casually and jokingly with others, I
                      have no judgemental view on any of this, its just when you really look
                      at it, some of them really live something of a life of reenactment,
                      with certain provisions. Not disimilar from sca, were we follow
                      certain rules that work for most, but not willing to give up all
                      convieniences.
                      This is a concept most of us could ponder, how inclined would we be
                      to do things, authenticly, in period fashion, if we had to do it all
                      the time, and the easy way was right there and available, all the time.
                      The thing about any Amish work or woodwork, that people dont realize
                      is that they will always do things as efficiently as they can within
                      thier rules, they are not foolish, instead, fitting between the
                      guidlines they live by makes them more inginuitive, they have to
                      figure out how to modify all modern equiptment to run on stationary
                      engines, or build thier own. The largest amish sawmill, a few miles
                      from me, has a hydralic log clam mounted on a chasis with steel wheels
                      drawn by a team of horses.
                      The whole thing strikes me as one giant anochronism

                      This is a far different view from many of my nieghbors, who have
                      nothing good to say about them and are very unhappy that they moved
                      into the valley. As far as I can tell this is nothing more than " I
                      dont like them cause thier different" type of mentality. Myself, I
                      would much rather have a neighbor who was bound to a life of honesty
                      and hard work, than say, someone who intended to move in and start a
                      meth lab ( thier quite the rage in wisconsin right now).

                      As far as perception of Amish quality being tied to scripture, I
                      dont know anyone who is really familiar with what scipture it is that
                      dictates what amish live by, so I doubt its possble that any of the
                      buyers have given it any thought whatsoever. I am very familiar with
                      biblical scripture myself, and attempt to live by it, but I wouldnt
                      say it decieds my quality of work, rather its my personal integrity
                      that is attached to everything I make that holds me to quality. I
                      feel personaly reaponsible for my work, and anyone who buys it should
                      be happy with it, and it should work properly. Most likely this value
                      of integrity comes from my christian upbringing, my father said and
                      lived by, "anything worth doing is worth doing right". If an Amish
                      man's dedication to quaility is tied to scripture, or tied to personal
                      standards, I could not possibly say, its just that I doubt that most
                      any of the consumers have ever consdered the manor with such depth.

                      If the rest of the world could live by "all things done well"
                      regardless of what god they believed in, if any, it would be a good start.
                      . Jared
                      Riesenweber

                      about.MUCH SNIPPAGE
                      > I hope I have put this well enough to assure that that this is
                      nota view of prejudice in any way, and I dont intend to offend
                      anyone,just present a logical view on the topic.
                      > COMMENT
                      > Jared,
                      > that's a most interesting Post.
                      >
                      > Do you think that the perception of "Amish quality" might have
                      something to do with their Tenets - "All things done well for the
                      Glory of God"? - and - "Not unto us the praise, but unto God, who hath
                      guided our unworthy hands in His Work?"

                      > Yours in Service,
                      > Matthew
                      > ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497:
                      > Motto - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for
                      Peace, prepare for War") ]
                      > aka. - Julian Wilson, - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald,
                      Historian, & Master Artisan to
                      > "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                      > [the Island of "olde" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
                      > Meet us at < www.dukesleopards.org >"
                      > [input]
                      > -
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      > Yahoo! Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide
                      with voicemail

                    • Jared
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 8, 2006
                        --Eirikr
                        It's more that you inspired me to voice my opinion on the topic
                        than that I am saying you were wrong. Very seldom is anyone, or any
                        statement 100% right or wrong. Im not sure that you even need to
                        stand to be corrected, since you show no ignorance whatsoever.
                        Jared