Re: [MedievalSawdust] Board feet

  • Robb Schuster
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 5 7:40 AM

      Halv;

      The math is fairly basic,
      --Thanks Charles!

      That's a fair bit of wood.

      --Yup, it takes a fair bit to build a longhouse:)
      Though at the prices I am looking at it appears as if we will be able to build either more houses or at least a larger intial house.

      So, I am not rocket scientist but if the local Amish are charging .50 a board foot foot for their green oak and I need approx 250 board feet, I am looking at $125??? (that cant be right can it?)

      What does wood generally run commercially per board foot?

      Halv?

    • Mark Schuldenfrei
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 5 8:07 AM
        > Keep in mind that I assumed all the dimensions you gave were in inches.

        I was curious about that. 16 10"x10"x10" boards? Seems odd. I would
        have expected, for his project, 16 10 FOOT by 10"x10" posts.

        If the first digit of each "triple" was a foot, multiply everything,
        including the costs, by 12....

        That would give 2,961.36 board feet, and a purchase price of something
        like USD $1,480.68. Which makes more sense for a building, and is no
        longer the bargain it seemed.

        Tibor
      • Chuck Phillips
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 5 8:09 AM

          Keep in mind that I assumed all the dimensions you gave were in inches.

          Over at Rockler there’s kiln dried, S2S red oak ¾” thick for $3.50/bf.  As long as you’re up for drying and surfacing the wood, I’d say the Amish are cutting you a square deal.  How soon did you need to start this project?

          Charles

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 5 8:25 AM
            ah ha!
            Tibor spots my mistake!
            Yes thats the deal, the first increment was 10 feet
            the rest was inches:)

            Still a better deal than I had imagined!

            Halv

            On 4/5/06, Mark Schuldenfrei <mark@...> wrote:
            > Keep in mind that I assumed all the dimensions you gave were in inches.

            I was curious about that.  16 10"x10"x10" boards?  Seems odd. I would
            have expected, for his project, 16 10 FOOT by 10"x10" posts.

            If the first digit of each "triple" was a foot, multiply everything,
            including the costs, by 12....

            That would give 2,961.36 board feet, and a purchase price of something
            like USD $1,480.68.  Which makes more sense for a building, and is no
            longer the bargain it seemed.

                   Tibor

            Yahoo! Groups Links

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Mark Schuldenfrei
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 5 8:32 AM
              > Tibor spots my mistake!

              Sorry, my friend.

              > Yes thats the deal, the first increment was 10 feet
              > the rest was inches:)

              (I was thinking you had decided to make a doll-house...)

              > Still a better deal than I had imagined!

              It's a very good price, even if you have to purchase 20% overage
              to compensate for checking, shrinkage, theft, and the measure nonce,
              cut once, darnit mentality that I sometimes suffer from. :-)

              Tibor (Most often heard in my shop:
              "What the hell was I thinking - that could never have worked!")
            • Robb Schuster
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 5 8:57 AM

                It's a very good price, even if you have to purchase 20% overage
                to compensate for checking, shrinkage, theft, and the measure nonce,
                cut once, darnit mentality that I sometimes suffer from. :-)

                --The current plan is to have the Amish not only cut the wood but also be part of construction as well, the local community is very involved in local house building:)

                Halv

              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 5 9:24 AM
                  > There seems to be some wierd math involved that I cant seem to figure
                  > out.
                  If other than these the standard is 1 board foot = 12 wide x 1 inch thick x
                  1 foot long x per 1board

                  James Cunningham
                  Sawyer

                  assuming 16 pieces 10inches wide by 10 inches thick and 10 inches long
                  16 x 10/12 x 10/12 x 10/12 = 9.259
                  30 x 10/12 x 6/12 x 10/12 = 10.417
                  8 x 3/12 x 6/12 x 10/12 = .8333
                  8 x 2/12 x 6/12 x 1/12 = 1

                  Assuming 16 pieces 10 inches wide by 10 inches thick by 10 feet long

                  16 x 10/12 x 10/12 x 10 = 111.111
                  30 x 10/12 x 10/6 x 10 = 125.000
                  8 x 3/12 x 6/12 x 10 = 10.000
                  8 x 2/12 x 6/12 x 1 = .666

                  > 16 - 10x10x10
                  > 30 - 10x6x10
                  > 8 - 3x6x10
                  > 8 - 2x6x1
                  >
                  > Is that enough information?
                  >
                  > Halv
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 5 9:39 AM
                    That is about average you will loose about a fourth to a third in drying.  But the 10 x10s are cheap per/board foot to cut out.  Thin lumber is the expensive stuff for a sawyer to make(uses up a lot of sawblade and even more time).

                    James Cunningham
                    Sawyer

                    PS 250 board foot is a small cabin.  I used 1125 board feet  to sheet a roof for a 20 x 40 building   16 x 43 x 2 = 1344 square foot of roof

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 5 9:47 AM
                      I think I have missed a posting to the list. What type of cabin are you
                      going to build?

                      Remember you cannot drive nails into dry oak.

                      James Cunningham

                      > > Still a better deal than I had imagined!
                      >
                      > It's a very good price, even if you have to purchase 20% overage
                      > to compensate for checking, shrinkage, theft, and the measure nonce,
                      > cut once, darnit mentality that I sometimes suffer from. :-)
                      >
                      > Tibor (Most often heard in my shop:
                      > "What the hell was I thinking - that could never have worked!")
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Robb Schuster
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 5 12:28 PM
                        Next question

                        The local Amish can supply me with the wood i need

                        Their prices are $0.15/board foot to cut logs we supply, and I believe
                        $0.50/ board foot for [oak] lumber he cuts from his supply.

                        Now in period (Viking Age) i dont see initial settlements being
                        constructed of dried wood. I imagine the lumber for the first few
                        houses were cut on site.

                        I admit I dont know alot about woods, is using green oak REAL BAD?
                        (Basically we are using timber framing methods)
                        Does oak shrink badly?

                        Halv
                      • maf@gleichen.ca
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 5 12:51 PM
                          From what I have seen using green lumber is better because the frame locks
                          as it dries.

                          Mark

                          > The local Amish can supply me with the wood i need
                          >
                          > Their prices are $0.15/board foot to cut logs we supply, and I believe
                          > $0.50/ board foot for [oak] lumber he cuts from his supply.
                          >

                          > Now in period (Viking Age) i dont see initial settlements being
                          > constructed of dried wood. I imagine the lumber for the first few
                          > houses were cut on site.
                          >
                          > I admit I dont know alot about woods, is using green oak REAL BAD?
                          > (Basically we are using timber framing methods)
                          > Does oak shrink badly?
                          >
                          > Halv
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Jared
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 5 7:31 PM
                            --The worst thing about green oak is its real heavy, but it will cut a
                            bit easier under your chisel when its green. My dairy barn was timber
                            framed with green oak 100 years ago and its still standing. I have
                            read many books on timber frame, in at least one, the builder used
                            green oak to frame a house, his findings were basically just what I
                            said, its heavy, but strong. You will want to get all your timbers
                            framed into the structure before they dry out too much and start to
                            warp. If not, at least stack them and maybe band the pile with plenty
                            of stickers in between, to keep them as straight as you can till they
                            get used. If you cut real mortise and tenons and peg them with dry
                            dowels, you should have tight joints. One thing to remember, wood
                            glue wont work at all, on green lumber, PL200 subfloor/construction
                            adheasive, is rated to bond green treated lumber, and will work much
                            better, if you intended to use any glues.
                            Jared

                            - In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Robb Schuster" <schusterrl@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Next question
                            >
                            > The local Amish can supply me with the wood i need
                            >
                            > Their prices are $0.15/board foot to cut logs we supply, and I believe
                            > $0.50/ board foot for [oak] lumber he cuts from his supply.
                            >

                            > Now in period (Viking Age) i dont see initial settlements being
                            > constructed of dried wood. I imagine the lumber for the first few
                            > houses were cut on site.
                            >
                            > I admit I dont know alot about woods, is using green oak REAL BAD?
                            > (Basically we are using timber framing methods)
                            > Does oak shrink badly?
                            >
                            > Halv

                          • Eric
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 6 10:07 AM
                              If the woodworkers that are supplying the wood will also be
                              participating in the build, you should have nothing to worry about.
                              They've probably got more experience working with the lumber that
                              you're ordering than anyone else you could find in this country.
                              Though your building may look different than their typical work, let
                              them have free run on the techniques of the frame, they should be
                              masters on this task compared to the combined experience from this
                              board (no insult intended to anyone here).

                              It sounds as if you've found a great opportunity for materials and
                              expertise. Given the same chance, I'd start this project in a
                              heartbeat.

                              Eirikr Mjoksiglandi,
                              Way out west...

                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 6 8:23 PM
                                "If the woodworkers that are supplying the wood will also be
                                participating in the build, you should have nothing to worry about.
                                They've probably got more experience working with the lumber that
                                you're ordering than anyone else you could find in this country.
                                Though your building may look different than their typical work, let
                                them have free run on the techniques of the frame, they should be
                                masters on this task compared to the combined experience from this
                                board (no insult intended to anyone here)."

                                Not that I am any expert on timberframe, but my next door
                                neighbors are amish, and of course build thier own houses with larg
                                groups of men very quickly. But they use milled 2x4s just like the
                                rest of us, they are currently doing a log cabin, that will be
                                dissasembled and sent to georgia, (we're in wisconsin) Jonas (the
                                elder) told me they had never built one before, amazing, that anyone
                                would hire anyone else to build thier house, site unseen, and assume
                                it would be done in a skilled manor just because they were amish. If
                                you or I were to try to get that job, we would have to prove our
                                expeirience very completly.
                                Please dont get me wrong, they are good people and good neighbors,
                                I have nothing against them, but it just bugs me the way the tourist
                                market around here pays extra for "Amish craftmanship". Ive been in
                                thier cabinet shops, they do good work, but no different than myself,
                                they use exactly the same tools. A grizzly table saw, jointer and
                                shaper and even pocket hole machines, (all run by a line shaft) and
                                thay use pnuematic sanders. Good craftsmanship, but not exactly "old
                                world".
                                If any fellow scadiens do many projects with hand tools, you are
                                probabably more authentic than even the most conservative amish in my
                                area. (there are many different groups). Its not the Amish that
                                bother me at all, its the ignorant view that others show about them.
                                Certainly a higher percentage of them have knowledge in carpentry and
                                cabnitry, than the rest of the general public, but To assume that all
                                are born with the talent to be a craftsman, is no more intelligent
                                than any other stereotype you can think of.

                                I hope I have put this well enough to assure that that this is not
                                a view of prejudice in any way, and I dont intend to offend anyone,
                                just present a logical view on the topic.
                                Jared
                              • James Winkler
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 6 9:28 PM

                                  >> I have nothing against them, but it just bugs me the way the
                                  tourist
                                  market around here pays extra for "Amish craftsmanship".  <<

                                  ... and therein lies the difference between 'real value' and perceived value.  As they said in Indy Jones... take a cheap watch, bury it in the sand for a few thousand years and it becomes priceless.  What's changed... only the 'perception of value/rarity/whatever pushes your personal psychological buttons' ...  most 'value' is in perception, hence the marketing tool of 'branding'...

                                  ... "What's in a name?" ... in a lot of cases... well...  'a lot'...

                                  ... and then there's the consumer perception of "collectable" vs. the merchandising perception of "collectable" (I.e., "we can build more of em' than you can buy... but we dare ya' to try to keep up")...  BUT THAT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT RANT...

                                  I share yer' pain Jared...

                                  Chas.
                                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 6 9:49 PM
                                    Is James Cunningham an Amish name?
                                    buttons' ... "What's in a name?" ... in a lot of cases... well...  'a lot'...
                                  • James Winkler
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 6 10:15 PM
                                      Might be... heck I'd be tempted to pay more for an original Cunningham... particularly if it was signed and numbered!!!!

                                      Winking smiley emoticon

                                      Chas.

                                      =================================

                                      Is James Cunningham an Amish name?
                                      buttons' ... "What's in a name?" .. in a lot of cases... well...  'a lot'...
                                    • julian wilson
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 7 9:26 AM
                                        Jared <tudweber_jr@...> wrote:
                                        "If the woodworkers that are supplying the wood will also beparticipating in the build, you should have nothing to worry about.MUCH SNIPPAGE
                                            I hope I have put this well enough to assure that that this is nota view of prejudice in any way, and I dont intend to offend anyone,just present a logical view on the topic.

                                        COMMENT
                                        Jared,
                                        that's a most interesting Post.

                                        Do you think that the perception of "Amish quality" might have something to do with their Tenets - "All things done well for the Glory of God"? - and - "Not unto us the praise, but unto God, who hath guided our unworthy hands in His Work?"

                                        Yours in Service,
                                        Matthew
                                        ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497:
                                        Motto  - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War") ]
                                        aka. - Julian Wilson,  - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald, Historian, & Master Artisan to
                                        "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                                        [the Island of "olde" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
                                        Meet us at <  www.dukesleopards.org  >"
                                        -

                                      • Eric
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 7 10:54 AM
                                          Jared,

                                          Your point is well taken. I did make the assumption that if they
                                          were milling green oak for sale, that they would have done similar
                                          milling before, and also assumed that thay would have used the
                                          material for their own purposes before and would be familiar with
                                          the appropriate techniques, not genetically imprinted, but gained
                                          though acquired experience.

                                          So, this is a good reminder to discuss people's experience with your
                                          specific project in mind when considering getting help, paid or
                                          not. One's perceived reputation or skill won't necessarily help
                                          when deep in a project, past work and/or references are probably
                                          more reliable.

                                          Standing corrected from positive prejudice,
                                          Eirikr

                                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jared" <tudweber_jr@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > "If the woodworkers that are supplying the wood will also be
                                          > participating in the build, you should have nothing to worry about.
                                          > They've probably got more experience working with the lumber that
                                          > you're ordering than anyone else you could find in this country.
                                          > Though your building may look different than their typical work,
                                          let
                                          > them have free run on the techniques of the frame, they should be
                                          > masters on this task compared to the combined experience from this
                                          > board (no insult intended to anyone here)."
                                          >

                                          > Not that I am any expert on timberframe, but my next door
                                          > neighbors are amish, and of course build thier own houses with larg
                                          > groups of men very quickly. But they use milled 2x4s just like the
                                          > rest of us,....
                                          > Certainly a higher percentage of them have knowledge in carpentry
                                          and
                                          > cabnitry, than the rest of the general public, but To assume that
                                          all
                                          > are born with the talent to be a craftsman, is no more intelligent
                                          > than any other stereotype you can think of.
                                          >
                                          > I hope I have put this well enough to assure that that this is
                                          not
                                          > a view of prejudice in any way, and I dont intend to offend anyone,
                                          > just present a logical view on the topic.
                                          > Jared

                                        • Jared
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 8 10:07 PM
                                            I do not intend to ruffle any feathers, it is just that I have gained
                                            a greater insight on the various amish beliefs in my area since I have
                                            been suurounded by them. The ones next door to me are most
                                            conservative, thay wont even use covered buggies, thay go down the
                                            road when its below zero, holding an umbrella in front of them. They
                                            follow many other stringent rules, but they do ride in other peoples
                                            cars and come over to use my telephone, and like I said, use the same
                                            tools in thier cabinet shop as I do. All powered by a line shaft with
                                            a diesel engine at the end of the building. Another local sect is
                                            much less conservative and I know many of them how drink coffee, smoke
                                            or chew tobbacco, and converse casually and jokingly with others, I
                                            have no judgemental view on any of this, its just when you really look
                                            at it, some of them really live something of a life of reenactment,
                                            with certain provisions. Not disimilar from sca, were we follow
                                            certain rules that work for most, but not willing to give up all
                                            convieniences.
                                            This is a concept most of us could ponder, how inclined would we be
                                            to do things, authenticly, in period fashion, if we had to do it all
                                            the time, and the easy way was right there and available, all the time.
                                            The thing about any Amish work or woodwork, that people dont realize
                                            is that they will always do things as efficiently as they can within
                                            thier rules, they are not foolish, instead, fitting between the
                                            guidlines they live by makes them more inginuitive, they have to
                                            figure out how to modify all modern equiptment to run on stationary
                                            engines, or build thier own. The largest amish sawmill, a few miles
                                            from me, has a hydralic log clam mounted on a chasis with steel wheels
                                            drawn by a team of horses.
                                            The whole thing strikes me as one giant anochronism

                                            This is a far different view from many of my nieghbors, who have
                                            nothing good to say about them and are very unhappy that they moved
                                            into the valley. As far as I can tell this is nothing more than " I
                                            dont like them cause thier different" type of mentality. Myself, I
                                            would much rather have a neighbor who was bound to a life of honesty
                                            and hard work, than say, someone who intended to move in and start a
                                            meth lab ( thier quite the rage in wisconsin right now).

                                            As far as perception of Amish quality being tied to scripture, I
                                            dont know anyone who is really familiar with what scipture it is that
                                            dictates what amish live by, so I doubt its possble that any of the
                                            buyers have given it any thought whatsoever. I am very familiar with
                                            biblical scripture myself, and attempt to live by it, but I wouldnt
                                            say it decieds my quality of work, rather its my personal integrity
                                            that is attached to everything I make that holds me to quality. I
                                            feel personaly reaponsible for my work, and anyone who buys it should
                                            be happy with it, and it should work properly. Most likely this value
                                            of integrity comes from my christian upbringing, my father said and
                                            lived by, "anything worth doing is worth doing right". If an Amish
                                            man's dedication to quaility is tied to scripture, or tied to personal
                                            standards, I could not possibly say, its just that I doubt that most
                                            any of the consumers have ever consdered the manor with such depth.

                                            If the rest of the world could live by "all things done well"
                                            regardless of what god they believed in, if any, it would be a good start.
                                            . Jared
                                            Riesenweber

                                            about.MUCH SNIPPAGE
                                            > I hope I have put this well enough to assure that that this is
                                            nota view of prejudice in any way, and I dont intend to offend
                                            anyone,just present a logical view on the topic.
                                            > COMMENT
                                            > Jared,
                                            > that's a most interesting Post.
                                            >
                                            > Do you think that the perception of "Amish quality" might have
                                            something to do with their Tenets - "All things done well for the
                                            Glory of God"? - and - "Not unto us the praise, but unto God, who hath
                                            guided our unworthy hands in His Work?"

                                            > Yours in Service,
                                            > Matthew
                                            > ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497:
                                            > Motto - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for
                                            Peace, prepare for War") ]
                                            > aka. - Julian Wilson, - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald,
                                            Historian, & Master Artisan to
                                            > "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                                            > [the Island of "olde" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
                                            > Meet us at < www.dukesleopards.org >"
                                            > [input]
                                            > -
                                            >

                                            > ---------------------------------
                                            > Yahoo! Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide
                                            with voicemail

                                          • Jared
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 8 10:40 PM
                                              --Eirikr
                                              It's more that you inspired me to voice my opinion on the topic
                                              than that I am saying you were wrong. Very seldom is anyone, or any
                                              statement 100% right or wrong. Im not sure that you even need to
                                              stand to be corrected, since you show no ignorance whatsoever.
                                              Jared