RE: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 987

  • Bill Mauldin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2006
      As historical trivia on the same mayor. A knight cadre headed by Franz von
      Sickengen came in and tortured the man in the market square until a ransom
      demand was met. Geffrei

      From: Avery Austringer <avery1415@...>
      2. Re: Digest Number 986
      From: "Ralph Lindberg" <n7bsn@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:50:52 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Avery Austringer <avery1415@...>
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 986

      >Obviously, they aren't all like this. Several royal household rolls
      >are obsessively complete, for example. But you can no more accept an
      >average medieval inventory as "evidence of absence" -- or indeed
      >relative frequency -- than you can anything else.

      I picked up a great book while in England: "The Secret Middle Ages" by
      Malcolm Jones. It is excellent!

      I give you the first sentence: "One day in 1521 the Mayor of Frankfurt,
      Claus Stalburg, known as "The Rich", sat down at a table in his elegant
      town home and drew up an inventory of all the biscuit moulds he owned.

      The number of observations the author draws from this inventory is
      impressive.

      Avery

      Message: 2
      Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:10:19 -0000
      From: "Ralph Lindberg" <n7bsn@...>

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer
      <avery1415@...> wrote:

      > >Obviously, they aren't all like this. Several royal household rolls
      > >are obsessively complete, for example. But you can no more accept an
      > >average medieval inventory as "evidence of absence" -- or indeed
      > >relative frequency -- than you can anything else.
      >
      > I picked up a great book while in England: "The Secret Middle Ages" by
      > Malcolm Jones. It is excellent!
      >
      > I give you the first sentence: "One day in 1521 the Mayor of Frankfurt,
      > Claus Stalburg, known as "The Rich", sat down at a table in his elegant
      > town home and drew up an inventory of all the biscuit moulds he owned.

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0750926856/qid=1144008476/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs
      _b_2_1/103-9155906-6145449?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

      Ralg
      AnTir